cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evansd
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

SQL Server Agent Service cannot be started ePO 5.1.1 (SQL 2008 Express)

Good day Community,

I have a client that has about 250 users and they don't have SQL licenses. They want McAfee ePO deployed in their environment, so we thought we can run SQL Express that comes with ePO package.

During the installation we discovered that the SQL Server Agent Service cannot be started and found the below articles during my troubleshooting steps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365248(v=SQL.100).aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/dc70d42a-7e50-4908-a705-29e8e76186bd/use-sql...

1.  My question is has anyone come across the same issue and is McAfee aware of the problem (because they wouldn't include SQL Express in the ePO package knowing that SQL Agent Service is not supported).

2.  Is there another work around since the customer does not have SQL licenses.

Customer is running Windows Server 2012 R2 with 8GB Ram, Intel Xeon 2.93GHz Processor.

Thanks

Regards

Evans Dube (South Africa)

7 Replies

Re: SQL Server Agent Service cannot be started ePO 5.1.1 (SQL 2008 Express)

Hi,

Have you cross checked the below ports, For SQL servers these ports are must  be opened.

TCP port 1433 used to
communicate with the SQL server. This port is specified or determined
automatically during the setup process.

UDP port 1434 used to
request the TCP port that the SQL instance hosting the ePO database is using.

Regards,

Yans.

evansd
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

Hi Yans

Is it necessary to check if the ports are blocked if SQL is going to be running on same Box?

Hi Evansd,

Excellent point..

In this  scenario and as per above screenshots, I am able to see there is a SQL UDP 1434 port issue. Due to that only, i think you are facing an issue.

If possible, Could you please try. I think it should work as we expected.

Regards,

Yans.

evansd wrote:

Hi Yans

Is it necessary to check if the ports are blocked if SQL is going to be running on same Box?

Yes it is - the loopback interface is subject to the same rules as any other interface.

Evans - you don't necessarily need the SQL agent for ePO to run. All the SQL agent does is manage jobs/schedules/tasks/operaters/etc within SQL Server itself. It will not prevent ePO from running - you just won't be able to create jobs and such to perform tasks on your SQL DBs.

As for your port issue, SQL usually runs on 1433 or 1434, you will need those open for comm between ePO and SQL.

Hi Evansd,

Can you update on the status. Is it working after open the 1433 & 1434 ports?

Regards,

Yans

Hi Evansd,

Great !

Regards,

Srinivasa.