Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

McAfee alerting interface unable to send alert to

i'm getting this on a lot of my machines, however, the server (names SERVER) here in the example is no longer in use.

can i change the destination of whatever it is trying to do, or disable it completely ?

what exactly is the client computer trying to do here ?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: McLogEvent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 259
Date: 4/1/2009
Time: 11:47:54 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: BRIAN
Description:
McAfee alerting interface unable to send alert to \\SERVER\pipe\AlertManager. Error returned = The network path was not found.
6 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7

RE: McAfee alerting interface unable to send alert to

Open the VirusScan Console, then click on "Tools", choose "Alerts". From there you can change the "Destination" or from the same location disable alerting entirely.

You're getting the error because the alerts were originally going to the server mentioned but because the server is no longer there, the event log throws it's own log of the error.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

can this be changed in the ePo administration console. I looked in the policy, but can't find where to turn off the destination. All i see is where to disable the alerts. Should I just do that ?

thanks
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7

You'd normally set this up in the Alert Manager Alerts section of the AV Policies Policies in ePO I think.

If you are using Alert Manager you may also need to check out the Alert Manager Policies settings too.

Jim
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Re: McAfee alerting interface unable to send alert to

Hello i am also getting the same event id , going to policy catalog-virus scan eventerpise 8.7- alert policies and disabling alerts, is this safe to do.or is there any other to disable alerting.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

i set the policy to turn off the alerts as mentioned before.   the ePO manager still logs the activity that goes on, so i'd say it's safe.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

Is there another way of changing this without disabling the alert.   I'm having the same issue but it's because we changed EPO servers.   Is there an .ini file or a config file that can be changed?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community