cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

someone could provide me safeboot mbr image file?

Hello,

I have a laptop with both installed WindowsXP and Linux on the same HD. Recently i encrypted the Windows partition with SafeBoot, then it replaced the MBR of my HD, and Linux was not starting anymore, just Windows. I restored the MBR with GRUB, and prior to that I saved the SafeBoot MBR to a file, but by mistake I saved it onto the RAM disk instead that on a permanent memory like an USB Key or on the Linux Partition, so basically i *lost* the SafeBoot MBR 😕

I think that I just need the safeboot MBR in a file of 512byte, can anyone provide me this?

Notice that i save the actual key for encryption on a usb stick.

Regards,
Luca
5 Replies
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

RE: someone could provide me safeboot mbr image file?

the MBR is unique to your machine, someone else's MBR isn't going to work.

You can do restore SBR from Win/SafeTech though, that will put the last good copy back.

S.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

Could be more precise? What the SBR is? If it is the Boot Sector of the Windows partition, i have it untouched!

Thanks,
Luca
SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

the MBR contains the partition table as you say, so someone else's MBR won't work unless you swap the part tables between them.

the SBR (SafeBoot Boot Record) which replaces the MBR again contains the part table, but also a bunch of code unique to that activation of EEPC/DEPC.

Your helpdesk will have a copy of the SBR in the machine object as long as you're using a fairly current install. Otherwise fix the part table and do an emergency boot, that will rebuild everything.

Finally, if you need your original MBR for the part table, again that's stored in the machine object in the database for current versions of EEPC/DEPC.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

I believe I discovered that SafeBoot by MCAfee and the one which comes with "HP Protection Tools" are two different (but still similar) product. I have installed the SafeBoot which comes with "HP Protection Tools".

This part is irrevelant to HP Protection Tools, right? I really hope to have some sort of help, as I seen other people at least be able to use BartPE and to access to the disk with the file key which i stored in a .dat file on my usb key. The only thing I need is the Access Daily Code, how could i obtain it?

Regards,
Luca
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Luca -

Support for the HP product is from HP.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community