3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 7:43 PM by johnmoe

cases for McAfee agent

luckm

Hi,

I have few queries regarding with mcafee epo-agent.Before posting here i have also gone through with product documentations but unable to gather my queries answers..

If anyone have some ideas on my below cases then please share with me..

**How epo communicate with agent and vice versa (need to understand what methodology is used behind it.Example: epo will send a ping request to agents?)

**As per ports details for Agent-server communication port 80 and 443(Secure) both are used for communication,than on which conditions there are very.

**For one epo-agent communication,how many bytes are consumed and for communication and deployment same bytes are used or it will very.

Good day...

• 1. Re: cases for McAfee agent
          tao

**How epo communicate with agent and vice versa (need to understand what methodology is used behind it.Example: epo will send a ping request to agents?)

The McAfee Agent is the distributed component of McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (McAfee ePO). It downloads and enforces policies, and executes client-side tasks such as deployment and updating. The Agent also uploads events and provides additional data regarding each system’s status. The agent collects and sends event information at policy intervals to the McAfee ePO server.

McAfee Corporate KB - FAQs for McAfee Agent KB75298

**As per ports details for Agent-server communication port 80 and 443(Secure) both are used for communication,than on which conditions there are very.

Port 80: ePO server service uses to receive requests from agents.

Port 443: Agent-to-server communication Secure Port

McAfee Corporate KB - Ports needed by ePolicy Orchestrator for communication through a firewall KB66797

**For one epo-agent communication,how many bytes are consumed and for communication and deployment same bytes are used or it will very.

Take a look at Agent deployment and bandwidth section  page 183

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 25000/PD25519/en_US/epo_510_bpg_Rev_B.pd…

• 2. Re: cases for McAfee agent
            luckm

Thanks for your valuable update tao..

I understand the functionality of a agent(what is does),unable to understand how it will communicate with epo and how epo is communicate with agent..

For more clarification please take a look on below snapshot..

ePO query.PNG

• 3. Re: cases for McAfee agent
              johnmoe

The server typically doesn't initiate communication with the agent; that usually happens the other way round.  The agent attempts to communicate back to the server on a schedule; this schedule is called the Agent Server Check-In (ASCI) interval.  If it's successful, the ePO server records the time and date in the Last Communication field.  The agent talks to the ePO server using port 443 (HTTPS), and checks for updates to assigned policies and tasks.  If it finds any updates, it pulls them down and applies them as needed.  It also uploads any events that it is configured to send to ePO.

The server can initiate communication with the agent; it does this using port 8081.  These are usually either Agent Wake-Up tasks, or server-initiated Run Client Tasks.

I think this answers your questions above?  If you need more clarification, let us know.