1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 11:01 AM by rmetzger

Creating VS package with MDI

jlph

Hi all,

Currently working on a Win10 migration and we are deploying the new OS & all packages with SCCM. As a result I am looking to create a VirusScan package that will include our license information so that it can be silent and does not require the user to specify our license information. The ultimate goal is that once the task sequence is complete we are ready to hand to the user and not dependent on ePO tasks linked to OU's...

I've read through the VS installation documentation and could not find any switches that would enable license information to be specified. This then led me on to McAfee Installation Designer. This appears to cover exactly what I need.

I've obtained MID, launched it and on the Welcome screen I have selected Create a new installation package based on an existing package. I've read through the usage guide and I'm unsure what it is needed in the Source folder field on the following page. I've obtained VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 8 from the MCafee download portal which is supposed to be compatible with MID however when attempting to proceed to the Installation Options phase I receive the following error: Please enter a source folder containing a valid VirusScan Enterprise Installation package.

What am I doing wrong? Completely stumped.

• 1. Re: Creating VS package with MDI
          rmetzger

Hi jlph,

jlph wrote:

Currently working on a Win10 migration and we are deploying the new OS & all packages with SCCM. As a result I am looking to create a VirusScan package that will include our license information so that it can be silent and does not require the user to specify our license information. The ultimate goal is that once the task sequence is complete we are ready to hand to the user and not dependent on ePO tasks linked to OU's...

I've read through the VS installation documentation and could not find any switches that would enable license information to be specified. This then led me on to McAfee Installation Designer. This appears to cover exactly what I need.

I've obtained MID, launched it and on the Welcome screen I have selected Create a new installation package based on an existing package. I've read through the usage guide and I'm unsure what it is needed in the Source folder field on the following page. I've obtained VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 8 from the MCafee download portal which is supposed to be compatible with MID however when attempting to proceed to the Installation Options phase I receive the following error: Please enter a source folder containing a valid VirusScan Enterprise Installation package.

MID is a great tool, which can be used to provide multiple images of VSE to be used for either Standalone or ePO install.

In fact, multiple patch levels can each be used to create VSE images with each patch level needed in your environment.

1) The source folder needs to contain the Full Install version of VSE, not just the patch.

2) The source folder needs to contain the DAT files.

1) Download the complete VSE version of choice, (not the patch) and extract to a directory of your choice. This should be the repost patch, which is fully installable without an already installed VSE on the system. This becomes your Source Folder.

2) In addition you may want to include, the latest XXXXxdat.exe file which you may want to extract to that Source Folder.

At this moment:

8474xdat.exe /E "{your Source Folder}"

Try that with MID.

Note, you need to create a Destination Folder, which allows you to configure multiple images of VSE for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger