7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 11:14 PM by johnmoe

Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories

sctlam2002

I am local admin of large VSE infrastructure using ePO server for virus signature update. HQ implemented master repository as well as local repositories.

Recently, I am being told clients (servers) within my areas can only receive update from master repository, not other closest to my location. Would like to seek help for the following

a. How can one test whether the client can connect to a specific repository to receive update ?

b. There are different types of repositories. Namely FTP repositories, HTTP repositories,  UNC share repositories  and SuperAgents . Is there any way one can check which type of repository it was connected to receive the update ? Provided one cannot access any repository server.

c. What sort of client side system log one can use to further investigate this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
          tao

Make sure the following policy is enabled & configured according to your environment: McAfee Agent  / Repositories / Repository list.  As for repository logging, McAfee removed that functionality when they introduced Agent 5.X ePO Agent Log: 5.0.3.316 vs 4.8.0.1995

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
            sctlam2002

Tao,

Thanks for the prompt reply and information.

Dear all,

Need sometime to disgest the information. Would you please enlighten me on the following questions ?

1. Is there any way to find out from client side (not ePO console) on which type of repository will it be connected ?

2. Is the existense of McAfee Agent in the client a manatory condition before it can work with other distributed repositories ( FTP, HTTP,  UNC share and SuperAgents) to receive update ?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
              johnmoe

The repository list for a system can be found in SiteList.xml; the filename and path varies slightly by product and version, but a search in McAfee's KB should tell you where to find it for your environment.

The McAfee Agent is the management agent for all things McAfee on the system; it takes care of product installs, updates, policies, etc.  As such, yes, it's required for any centralized management, including managing repositories.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
                sctlam2002

Dear JohnMoe,

Thanks for your information. So I can find where the client will search for update by inspecting the existing SiteList.xml ?

For my second question, as client did not have agent installed, cannot explain why it can search master replicate but not other local replicates for updates ?

• 5. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
                  johnmoe

sctlam2002:

1. Yes, the SiteList.xml is the repository configuration file for the agents
                  2. If the client doesn't have the agent insalled, then ePO can't manage it.  I'm not sure what you mean by "it can search master replicate"?  Do you mean it's getting updates from the master repository, but not the distributed repositories?  Without an agent, it can't get updates from *any* repository; if they are getting updates, then the agent must be installed.  How are you determining that the agent isn't installed?
                  • 6. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
                    sctlam2002

Dear Johnmoe,

Thanks again, would like to clarify my meaning of the second question. Your intepretion is correct. The exact phrase is : I was told me my clients can only receive update from master repository (by forcing the client to hardcode using master repository). If not, they cannot receive update from the disbributed repositories (which are more adjacent than master repository).

Unsure whether there is way EPO server can impose VSE signature update from matster repository to its client without McAfee Agent being installed at client side first. From your reply, looks like above situation is impossible, right ?

Summarise on previous discussion, looks like the way to tackle my questions are

a.     Check whether SiteList.xml exist in the clients and its contents. It show where the client will go to search for update.

b.     Check whether McAfee Agent is installed and its version

After above items are ensure, still need way from client side to check for its connectivity to selective distributed repositories. Is there any tools or way can allow local administrator to perform that ?

• 7. Re: Hints for unable to receive update from local repositories
                      johnmoe

Yes, you are correct that you can't push out the repository list without McAfee agent.  As such, you have the steps the wrong way round.  You want to ensure McAfee Agent is installed; assuming your environment is configured correctly, it'll fix the SiteList.xml itself and the problem should go away.  If it doesn't, then there's something else wrong.