7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 5:50 AM by scorchspam

Offline repository?

I have a network that's not connected to the internet, running EPO4, VSCAN87 and HIP7. What is the best way to keep the clients updated?

My initial idea was to have a client with VirusScan mirroring the McAfee update repository and then, by disconnecting from the internet and connecting to the secure network, copy the files to a server that could then be used either by clients directly or by the EPO server.

However, the mirrored directory is 400 MB which is a bit much...

Is there some way skip unneeded files? Or any other way?
        • 1. RE: Offline repository?
          how about your client ? if your client is VSE8.5 (not 8.0 or 8.7) you can only download the DAT . the files is small (200M) you can click Autoupdate -- propertis

if your clients has many edition (contain VSE8.0 or 8.5 or 8.7) i think it is necessary to download all the files(more than 400 M).

and i think you can search , many answers .
          • 2. RE: Offline repository?
            I have 8.7 clients, and have been testing this a bit. It seems that the only way to get it to work in a stable way is to have a mirror task download the complete repository from McAfee, i e 400+ MB. Then I can set the pull task in EPO to update from a local UNC share.

My first idea was to use another EPO server (there's one connected to the internet), configure a SA repository and replicate only the needed files to it (around 120 MB), but it seems the other EPO server can't pull files from a copied SA repository (says already up to date).

Another way I thought about was to automatically download a dat or superdat and import it to the master repostiory by a script, I seem to remember that there was commands for that in previous EPO versions. However, those commands might not be present in EPO4, and anyway I'd probably lose all incremental update functionalty by doing this.
            • 3. RE: Offline repository?
              already up to date ? DAT files ? i am sorry that , i am a new user in epo4 . can you send me the picture (error) ? my epo server is OK ,no errors. can you send the picture to me ?

and i have no script to previous EPO versions . i don't know EPO 3.6 . can you send me the script ? thanks gxl@email.com
              • 4. RE: Offline repository?
                challiwag
                "
                My first idea was to use another EPO server (there's one connected to the internet), configure a SA repository and replicate only the needed files to it (around 120 MB), but it seems the other EPO server can't pull files from a copied SA repository (says already up to date). "

You can use your ePO server that has a connection to the internet as a source repository.
                All you have to do is share the software directory on the outward facing server, export the server keys, then import them into your confined ePO server. Then set the confined epo server to used the external epo server as a source repository, just tell it to look in the software directory that you shared.
                • 5. RE: Offline repository?
                  Sk1dMARK
                  What I did to handle a problem similar to yours was to setup a machine with multiple NICs (three NICs in my case as I have 2 air gap networks to feed). On that machine I set up McAfee's AutoUpdateArchitect. I made sure that the NICs for each air gap network were on the same subnet as the two ePO servers in the air gap (routing issues, if you don't) and then set the ePO servers to use the AUA box as their source. Works like a champ.

Regards,

Mark
                  • 6. RE: Offline repository?
                    challiwag
                    MAA goes EOL in a few months though sad
                    • 7. RE: Offline repository?
                      Thanks for the suggestions, but I think you're missing the point. I have several ways to get a working repository to the offline environment, but I would like to just have the absolutely necessary files (which probably would be around 100 MB) instead of a full repository (McAfee's being currently ~420 MB and the online EPO (with products) is around 300).

Considering that the .dat file size has increased ALOT in just the last six months and the fact that there are several copies of the complete dats in a repository packed in slightly different ways, I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't break after a year when the dats may very well have doubled in size.

From a strict stability point I think the best option is to mirror the McAfee repositories directly from the internet, though.