7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 6:27 PM by catdaddy

Optimum customer - McAfee

bugsmo

Greetings. Newbie here.

Question is about optimum provided mcafee multiaccess security - Internet security FULL Scan in particular.

Using a macOS Sierra v 10.12.3

I rarely see the FULL Scan finish. Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 8.36.59 AM.png

99% of the time "scanning in progress" with THREATS detected.

My concern is three fold:

1/ Why is it the scan rarely finishes?

2/ If and when I bail on a scan in progress are the detected threats quarantined or removed?

3/ On the rare occasion that a scan completes and threats are detected - must I review the threats and take an action?

I believe i checked the Quarantine icon on the McAfee console finding it empty.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 11.45.04 AM.png

Thank you in advance for your patient reply.

Bugsmo

• 2. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
          catdaddy

bugsmo,

There is a FAQ  for this issue however that has been quite a long time ago, and am uncertain if it is still applicable? Perhaps you can contact Technical Support/Select Mac opposed to Windows PC. Via Phone/Online Chat By far the Quickest.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
            Peter M

Not having a Mac doesn't help but I can answer partially based on the experience in Windows.

You asked:

1/ Why is it the scan rarely finishes?

It's getting hung on a file, probably a zipped one.  Best contact Technical Support directly.by phone or online chat.

2/ If and when I bail on a scan in progress are the detected threats quarantined or removed?

They should still be in the Quarantine folder as threats or possibly unwanted programs (PUPs - in the Windows version this is a separate drawer or section inside Quarantine).

3/ On the rare occasion that a scan completes and threats are detected - must I review the threats and take an action?

I believe i checked the Quarantine icon on the McAfee console finding it empty.

It's possible they were detected then ignored after the software checked with the online database, again support would be the best place to ask I think.

Technical Support

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
              bugsmo

Thank you Peter and all.

McAfee passed me off to Optimum despite our allowance as subscribers to use McAfee. No big issue just another call.

Optimum for unfamiliar readers is a TV/Internet/Phone provider in the US.

It seems as an Optimum customer we need to go to the Optimum McAfee mac support Team.

In the US 866-622-3911 btw.

Anywho, it had to do with me having an external hard drive. Apparently the scan was confused between the Mac HD and the External HD. 

The hard drive needs to be disassociated via Finder - Devices - External HD - Eject.

as well as Time Machine needed to have Back Up Automatically un-checked before a scan would complete.

System Preferences - Time Machine - deselect Auto Back up.

Open McAfee and begin Scan.

A scan of the External HD is possible once reconnected via Custom Scan.

Clear as mud.

Thanks for encouragement.

Cheers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
                catdaddy

Glad that you got it all sorted out

Plus...I like the saying. "Clear as Mud"

Being from Southeastern North Carolina,we use that quite a bit..Chuckle.

All the Very Best

CD

• 6. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
                  Peter M

Glad they at least helped and sorry for the run around.  We're never quite sure when it comes to 3rd party providers.

• 7. Re: Optimum customer - McAfee
                    catdaddy

bugsmo,

I took the liberty of marking your reply as 'correctly Answered', as it will assist other users in the future should they come across this issue.