4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 7:49 PM by iamjeff

ePO upgrade 3.6.1 to 4.0

Hi All, the current ePO 3.6.1 now manages anti-virus, anti-spayware 8.5, hips 6 and we are planning the ePO to 4.0. The anti-virus, anti-spyware and hips will be planning to upgrade to new version too after the ePO upgrade test OK. As I know there are 3 ways to upgrade to ePO 4.0:
      1. in-place uprgade on the same server.
      2. a new ePO server with the same server name.
      3. a new ePO server with a new server name.

Does anyone has experience on ePO 4.0 upgrade. Which method did you use/suggest?
      Any consideration about ePO agent update, policy upgrade and other product version upgrade later? Thanks.
        • 1. RE: ePO upgrade 3.6.1 to 4.0
          I just went through this upgrade last week.
          First I tried to use a completely new install (with a new server name) and I found that it was to difficult to get the new agent installed on all the client computers. Not to mention porting all of the rules from the previous server.
          So I went with the upgrade in place. I did not have to re-deploy the agent and all of the policies were in place (once I figured out how the extensions worked.:rolleyes:)
          Then I just deployed the new 4.0 agent.

Hope this helps.
          • 2. RE: ePO upgrade 3.6.1 to 4.0
            Thanks. In fact, I also think method 3 is a difficult one because I have to re-deploy all agents as some clients are on other sites. This may cause trouble if fail to re-deploy new agents to other sites clients.
            I perfer method 1 (in-place) and 2 (new but same servername). Both methods can easily get back agent communication...I think. Method 2 can have a better fallback plan while method 1 needs large service downtime and a more complicated fallback.

One consideration is that the existing ePO server manages HIPS 6. I'm not sure the HIPS will be upgrade to HIPS 7 before or after ePO 4.0 upgrade. If I migrate ePO 4.0 to a new server. Should I recover the ePO 3.6.1 server on new machine and then upgrade the ePO 3.6.1 server to ePO 4.0 on the new miachine with in-place upgrade procedure in order to get the HIPS polices mirgrate by upgrade installer? Or, just directly install ePO 4.0 on new machines?

Any more experience can share? Thanks again.
            • 4. RE: ePO upgrade 3.6.1 to 4.0
              Thanks, msonen.
              I also read the above article. The following procedures are for installation of eOP 4.o server on a different server.
              1. Plan the migration schedule window time during which the ePO 3.6.1 services would be unavailable. Perform steps 3 and onwards during this scheduled maintenance.
              2. Ensure that the machine 2 box meets the requirements for ePO 4.0.
              3. Recover the ePO 3.6.1 server as per TechNote number 2150095 on machine 2.
              4. Upgrade the ePO 3.6.1 server to ePO 4.0 Patch 2 on machine 2 with the in-place upgrade procedure documented prior to this section.

For step 3, does it mean to migrate original ePO 3.6 server to the new machine first before install ePO 4.0?
              Also, how about database server, can I use a new database server or use the orignial database server? If I use a new database server, should I migrate original database server to new server first, or just let a new database creation with ePO 4.0?

Thanks.