4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 3:45 PM by zuffy

Error upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.6.1

I need to upgrade ePO 3.0.2 (SP2 with patch 8) to 3.6.1. I am getting an error "You are attempting to upgrade from a product version that is not supported. Please see the ePolicy Orchestrator Installation Guide for upgrade requirements."

On the installation guide page 35, it says "The ePolicy Orchestrator 3.0.2 or higher software (or Protection Pilot 1.0 or higher software) has not been installed on this computer. You can only upgrade from these versions of ePolicy Orchestrator or Protection Pilot.

That is not true. I don't know if it makes a difference, but 3.6.1 is downloaded from McAfee's site vs the original CD. Also, I tried to run setup in the production server and got the same error.

I opened an online ticket with McAfee but no one got back to me yet and I don't expect them to since this is low priority. I don't have version 3.5 and it's not available for download. Not sure if McAfee can still provide it if that the upgrade route needed to get to 3.6.1.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks.
        • 1. RE: Error upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.6.1
          notime
          backup the DB unistall 3.0.2 then install 3.6.1
          • 2. RE: Error upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.6.1
            Thanks No Time.

McAfee responded back with an email. Looks like the solution is very similiar to your but does not require an uninstall. They recommend deleting the ePO uninstall registry key. I will have to give it a try on Monday when I get back to the office.
            • 3. RE: Error upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.6.1
              Not sure if this is a crazy idea.

Maybe upgrading is not the best path for me. The database is currently 22GB. I've tried purging the events but eventually, it time out. I am thinking of install ePO 3.6.1 fresh with a new DB. I setup my directory into branches and they are sorted by subnets so it's not too hard to recreate. The couple of policies I created are easy to recreate also.

So, if I install a fresh ePO 3.6.1 with a new DB, will it be an issue if I push out the new agent to the existing nodes that already has CMA 3.1.2? Yeah I know, EOL was a long time ago. For now, I will be using the same server and SQL server.

Please help. Head office in Tokyo is pushing upper management here in North America is pushing me to upgrade this weekend. McAfee contact rep is useless in helping in this ordeal.
              • 4. RE: Error upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.6.1
                Forgot to mention that I have about 2700 nodes.