2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 10:30 AM by edmacfly

Attempting to replace Mcafee Drive Encrypted HD with SSD

edmacfly

I have been trying to assist a colleague of mine who has a Fujitsu Lifebook that is in need of an upgrade. Without doing all of my homework, I purchased a RAM upgrade and SSD to give the machine a new lease of life. All was going well, until I discovered that the machine had been setup with Mcafee Drive Encryption that appears, after much studying of these forums, to be controlled by a third party machine, and one that he certainly no longer has any access to.

I completed the RAM upgrade and figured I would attempt to replace the drive by cloning the existing system to the new SSD. The clone completed successfully using Macrium Reflect and I replaced the drive, however, upon booting up we were met with the message that the EEPC had corrupted. This seems to make sense as we have gone from a larger drive to a smaller drive so I assume that has probably broken the Mcafee Encryption in some way. I put the old drive back in the machine and he is back up and running for now, but we're are now at a loss for how best to proceed, other than doing a complete reinstall on the new drive (there is some legacy software on there that he would like to keep) - is there any way to disable the encryption completely from the client machine? We have none of the Mcafee software, other than that which is installed on the machine.

One further thing that has confused me is that when I plugged the cloned drive into a different machine, I was able to access everything which suggests that the drive cloned unencrypted. Is there maybe some setting in the BIOS I could change which might bypass the Mcafee software pre-boot and enable the new drive to boot-up? I hope someone out there can help me get this sorted! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Attempting to replace Mcafee Drive Encrypted HD with SSD
          jhall2

You will need access to a DETech tool to perform this action. These can be found on Jay Appell's EZPE project page. However, you will need the code of the day to authorize use of the tool which I cannot provide on a public forum. The decryption process will take 4 or more hours depending on drive size, speed, and which DETech disk you choose to use and can take over 24 hours in some cases.

If I were in your shoes I would copy the user profile and reimage the new drive rather than attempting to keep the same Windows install. In the end, this will be faster and easier than attempting to learn how to use the DETech disk, decrypting the system, and fighting any Windows issues caused by switching to a different disk.

• 2. Re: Attempting to replace Mcafee Drive Encrypted HD with SSD
            edmacfly

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like we may have our route forward. I think the re-image is the way to go looking at the alternative!