4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 9:40 AM by petersen

    System tree sorting, all systems moved to lost&found suddenly

    petersen

      Hi,

       

      I'm using ePO 5.3.2 with several subfolders in system tree. Sorting criteria is IP based (xxx.xxx.xxx.024) ´which was running perfectly for months.

      Last change: Yesterday I've created a new subfolder with sorting criteria IP. Afterwards I've selected 'sort now' for the whole system tree with the result, that all systems in all subfolders, are now located in the group lost&found. All my manual created subfolders are empty now.

      I don't think, that the last change could be responsible for this issue.

       

      - Sorting is enabled on each system.

      - Serversettings: Sort systems on each agent-server communication is enabled.

       

      Greetings,

      Markus

        • 1. Re: System tree sorting, all systems moved to lost&found suddenly
          tao

          In the System Tree, where is the "new subfolder" nested - directly under "My Organization" or several folders down?  Are you using just IP or IP & Tags for sorting?  You can try Directory Management <> Test Sort (make sure that the system tree sorting is enabled on the node).  If it fails, manually follow the path down your system tree as to where it's suppose to be; double check each Group Details Tab <> Sorting criteria. 

          • 2. Re: System tree sorting, all systems moved to lost&found suddenly
            syedali

            Machines will default to the Lost and Found subgroup if they don't match any of the sorting criteria set in your system tree.

             

            You can manually move the pcs by just dragging them into the correct subgroup  or using the actions menu to move the system. If you are moving the systems to the correct areas using these methods, you may have to disable the "system tree sorting" to get them to stay (which could cause further issues in your environment down the track depending on how your system tree is organised).

             

            Best option is to work out why the systems in lost & found aren't matching the sorting criteria of your subgroups.

             

            Start by looking at where you think the machine should reside in the tree and review the sorting criteria. If the machines should reside in a nested subgroup, make sure the parent subgroup contains the sorting criteria of the nested subgroups. Once you are confident that the sorting criteria is correct (including any nested subgroup criteria), do a "Test Sort" on your systems in the lost & found area and move via the actions menu if correct

            • 3. Re: System tree sorting, all systems moved to lost&found suddenly
              syedali

              For testing purpose I tried the following this might be helpful to you

               

              Occasionally, I have seen weird results sorting as well. When sorting into sub-groups, I try to give the parent group sorting criteria that matches any of the sub groups as well. As an example...

               

              My Org.

              ---Internal (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16)

                   |--- Production (10.0.0.0/8)

                   |--- Development (172.16.0.0/12)

                   \--- Testing Lab (192.168.0.0/16)

              --External (tag:DMZ, tag:VPN)

                  |--- DMZ (tag:DMZ)

                  \--- VPN (tag:VPN)

              --Lost&Found

               

               

              Also, you can control the Sorting Order between groups on the same level. So in the example above, when I select My Org., I can tell the External group to be evaluated first, then if the system doesn't match it'll continue to the Internal, and eventually fall through to the L&F if it doesn't match anything.

               

              Thanks,

              Syed

              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: System tree sorting, all systems moved to lost&found suddenly
                petersen

                Sorting only with IP, no tags in use.

                Error is solved now. Layer8.

                 

                The system tree is organized as follows:

                 

                My Org. (none)

                ---Clients (none)

                     |--- Site1 (10.0.0.0/8)

                     |--- Site2 (172.16.0.0/12)

                     |--- Site3 (192.168.0.0/16)

                 

                After reviewing the the sorting criteria of all groups again, I've noticed, that the parent folder (clients) was mistakenly configured with a Site IP . With the config above everything works as before.

                 

                Thanks for your support!

                 

                Markus