I have been working on a RSS deployment issue for days now without any success. However I had a breakthrough today and wanted to share how I went through it.
However, here is what I have found that I wanted to share with others.
1. Enable Advanced Logging at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\LogLevel Change to 8 2. Restart the Mcafee Framework Service 3. Logs can be found at;
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\Db The files that change with each policy update are, Agent_<SERVERNAME>.xml,Agent_<SERVERNAME>.log and PrdMgr_<SERVERNAME>.log - C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Logs