4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 7:52 AM by kmr

EPO 4 "EPOProductSettings" table is 77GB

Greetings,

I have a medium size deployment of EPO 4 (<1000 PC's), and recently the database has grown to over 79GB. I did the usual purge of the event logs and then a "dbcc shrinkdatabase", but that didn't help much.

Upon further investigation it appears that 77GB of data is in the "EPOProductSettings" table!

EXEC sp_MSforeachtable @command1="EXEC sp_spaceused '?'"

name=EPOProductSettings
      rows=82578
      reserved=77220688 KB
      data=16752 KB
      index_size=77187328 KB
      unused=16608 KB

Two questions:

1) Why is this table so large?
      2) Can it be fixed without a complete reinstall of EPO?

I'm not a DBA, so I really don't know what the next step is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I need to provide more information about my environment.

Thanks!

Kevin
        • 1. RE: EPO 4 "EPOProductSettings" table is 77GB
          tonyb99
          this is for 3.6.1 but is generally applicableand may be of some help:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52452&actp=search&search id=1228128165246
          Identifying why the ePO database is very large - KB52452
          • 2. RE: EPO 4 "EPOProductSettings" table is 77GB

Thanks tonyb99, but that KB article and the linked articles doesn't seem to address the "EPOProductSettings" table.

I was able to determine that the indexes were taking up the majority of the space, so I did the following:

1) Stop EPO services
            2) Rebuild Indexes on EPOProductSettings table
            3) dbcc shrinkdatabase
            4) Start EPO services

That brought the DB size from 79GB to just under 80MB!

That was on Wednesday. Today is Monday, and the DB is back up to 72GB! And the SQL data drive is only 100GB :(

So now I'm wondering what's going on with those indexes that's causing them to grow so rapidly.

Can I disable the indexes on that table without totally breaking EPO? I imagine not, because they're probably there for a reason, but I thought I'd ask anyway in case someone knows.

Thanks!

Kevin
            • 3. RE: EPO 4 "EPOProductSettings" table is 77GB
              Im am having a similar issue:

Event ID: 1105

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.EPOProductSettings'.'IX_EPOProductSettings_SettingName' in database 'ePO4_xxxxxxxxxxxx' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

Event ID: 1827

CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database.
              • 4. RE: EPO 4 "EPOProductSettings" table is 77GB
                What was the syntax used to rebuild indexes on EPOProductSettings table?

and

syntax for the dbcc shrinkdatabasecommand?