1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2017 4:09 PM by catdaddy

Suspicious files preventing LiveSafe from re-installing

stein067

I have been using McAfee LiveSafe for a couple of years without problems.  Last weekend LiveSafe's Real-Time Scanning feature stopped working.  McAfee support said that the application needed to be uninstalled and then re-installed.  I was able to uninstall it just fine but kept getting an error message when trying to reinstall it.  I had a remote support session with a McAfee tech support rep.  He tried to re-install LiveSafe as well but could not.  He then ran GetSusp.  It identified 7 unknown and 2 suspicious files.  He told me that the suspicious files suggested that the computer was infected with a virus and that I should call McAfee's Virus Removal team.  I did contact that team but after they reviewed the 2 suspicious files they said that although they were not infected with a virus that one of those files was probably preventing LiveSafe from installing.  They said that I should remove the files and try installing again.  I don't want to remove files that appear to be in use by other programs.  One of the files is associated with TurboTax that I just installed.  So I suspect that that is the file causing the problem.  I looked at the VirusTotal Scan results page for both of those suspicious files from their MD5 in GetSusp and they had detection ratios of 0/56 and 0/47.  Which would seem to indicate very safe files to me.  Do suspicious files really prevent LiveSafe from installing?  Do you have any suggestions as to how I can install LiveSafe without removing the "suspicious" files?