2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 1:32 PM by CedricMordrin

Laptop Tagging

We are in the process of upgrading our ~4500 agents to McAfee Agent 4.0 after a long test period. Our initial test was with our laptops and our new desktop rollouts, and everything was going as planned. We had tags setup to identify Workstations and Laptops for reporting purposes for management and our security guy.

When we started updating the old 3.6 agents in our labs about half (~450 nodes) now show a 'Yes' for the IsLaptop criteria for tagging. This is not messing up anything other than the reporting structure. However, I need to get the reports back in line for our monthly security report.

Does anyone know what EPO is using to identify machines as laptops? The only thing I have found thus far is this KB article: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52910&actp=search&search id=1227624071735
      I've been pouring through WMI looking at the various SystemEnclosure ChassisTypes and near as I can tell it is identifying desktops that have a ChassisType of 16 "Lunch Box" as laptops.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what solution did you use?
        • 1. RE: Laptop Tagging
          It may also be looking for Win32_Battery

select * from Win32_Battery

If true = Laptop
          If false = Desktop
          • 2. RE: Laptop Tagging

I appreciate the suggestion, but that was one of the first things I looked for. However, it was tagging machines that did not report a battery and machines that had UPS were tagged as workstations. :confused:

At this point I am restructuring the tag criteria to not use that property and going based on other property combinations. Which brings me to a new issue, and that is how to use the custom 1/2/3/4 properties. Any suggestions as to where to find those?