4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 10:53 AM by bleeder

End of life posted for ePO 5.3 when ePO 5.9 hasn't been released yet?

McDuff

Greetings

Has anyone else found it strange that there's already an end of life for ePO 5.3 posted Intel Security Product & Technology Support Lifecycle – End of Life (EOL) – End of Support | Intel Security  (June 2018) when 5.9 hasn't been officially released yet?  We're at 5.1 whose EOL is Dec 31 2017 so that puts us in an odd position, do we go to 5.3 or wait to proceed directly to 5.9?  I don't like installing software too close to it's release date.   Also, curious about the 5.9 build number, does that mean we're close to an ePO 6 being released?

• 1. Re: End of life posted for ePO 5.3 when ePO 5.9 hasn't been released yet?
          woody188

McDuff wrote:

I don't like installing software too close to it's release date.

Me either, so go to 5.3.2 and wait to go to 5.9 in another year. I'd be willing to bet 5.9 is EOL for locally hosted ePO and a push to SaaS ePO to get those subscriptions. It's the way the world is going. Note I don't work for McAfee so that EOL for locally hosted ePO is pure speculation on my part.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: End of life posted for ePO 5.3 when ePO 5.9 hasn't been released yet?
            bleeder

@McDuff, would your management be ok with 5.3, given that 5.3 will be EOL in less than a year and a half?  That would likely be frowned upon in some organizations.

I agree that it's strange that the 5.3 EOL has been posted with no newer release being available, especially when other product releases (5.1.4, for example) have already been delayed over and over again.

• 3. Re: End of life posted for ePO 5.3 when ePO 5.9 hasn't been released yet?
              Troja

Hello,

McAfee support team only supports a limited amount of major version for any product. Therefore it is clear EPO 5.1 will not be supported any more, based on your link McDuff.

EPO 5.3 will be EOL in Junew 2018. This means, if you have an EPO version 5.x in place you have 1 1/2 year time to upgrade your EPO server, time enough.

This makes sense, because McAfee EPO switches completely from Event based management to context based management. If you do not know what this means, take a look at the active repsonse workspace (available with version 2.0). If you do not have a license for MAR, take a look at the attachments. MAR 2.0 needs EPO 5.3.1 as a minimum version. I think the workspaces will not be available for EPO systems less than version 5.3.1.

Finally, this is my point of information and my conclusions regarding EPO and EOL. If have much more information about this, but this is completely under NDA and must not be published here in the community. Stay tuned, there will be great things available with EPO and integrations, e.g. open DXL.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 4. Re: End of life posted for ePO 5.3 when ePO 5.9 hasn't been released yet?
                bleeder

McAfee changed the EOL date for EPO 5.3 to September 30, 2018