2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 2:17 PM by eddierowe

Practice ePO 5.1.3 Disaster Recovery for SQL Server Express Setup

eddierowe

Has anyone performed the DR steps in McAfee Corporate KB - kb66616  with a DOMAIN server being used in production and then restored to a WORKGROUP server NOT on the domain, but named the same name as the server (not on the network of course)?

• 1. Re: Practice ePO 5.1.3 Disaster Recovery for SQL Server Express Setup
          jhall2

I have done this many times with customers databases that they have provided to us. As long as you have network separation and you are using an SA account for SQL you shouldn't have an issue. If you are not using an SA account or are using a different password for SA in the test environment you will have to edit core/config to update the database credentials.

Many customers do this to replicate their production ePO to their test and staging environments.

• 2. Re: Practice ePO 5.1.3 Disaster Recovery for SQL Server Express Setup
            eddierowe

I was able to successfully to a DR test of backing up our production ePO and restoring to a virtual machine.  I read the documentation as inferring the DR Snapshot as being a SQL Server only feature, but it works well with SQL Server Express (assuming you have enough free space in your database).  The only issue I ran into was not being able to control the SQL Server's TCP port when installing ePO in the virtual machine.  For some reason our port number is different than the default and the installer does not let you change this port (you can change all of the other ports).  The work-around was to only install the software needed, change the TCP port and then complete the recovery.  It was not too difficult, but I thought I would post the steps I followed for the restoration:

1. Launch the ePO installer in your VM.
            2. Do not check the box to "Restore ePO from an existing database snapshot".
            3. Select Custom install.
            4. Select SQL Express.
            5. Click Next and wait patiently for the software to be installed.
            6. At the prompt for the Destination Folder do NOT proceed - cancel the insta
            7. Change the SQL Server's default TCP port to match the one your production server is using.  I used the SQL Server Configuration Manager to make this adjustment, but saw there are several ways to do this online.
            8. Reboot VM (might not be necessary as I would think you could restart any services, but this seemed simpler).
            9. Restore your SQL Express backup (I use SQL Server Management Studio).
            10. Launch the ePO installer.
            11. Check the box to "Restore ePO from an existing database snapshot".
            12. Follow the prompts as you would expect and you'll see your SQL server TCP port should match.

Note:  All of these steps were performed with ePO 5.1.3.  We're hoping to upgrade to ePO 5.3.x later this year now that we feel very confident that we could recover if we have issues.