9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 3:34 PM by nnnnmm

McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?

ronyguevara

A few days ago I need to change the aggressiveness of scanning for virus, but surprise .... many features that exists in McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 doesn't exist anymore, why?

Instead add more features, the features are reduce ... well I invested many hours comparing each version, because is imperative more features and more customization of the tools, well McAfee is announced for sale, as a tool for home and office.

Well the thing is, how I could return my computers to McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11? to customize its features.

Version 14.0 R11 vs. 15.1. R0.jpg

Now what is missing, these are the features that McAfee LiveSafe lost:

• Into General Settings and Alerts (Informational Alerts) [Lost features]
        • A new removable media drive is detected on my PC
        • Real-Time Scan and IM informational alerts
        • A scan for malware and spyware is complete and no issues are detected
        • Firewall is off

General Settings and Alerts.jpg

• Quarantined items And Trusted Items [Lost features]
        • Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs
        • Trusted Items

Quarantined items.jpg

• Real-Time Scanning [Lost features]
        • Scan these files
          • All files (Recommended)
          • Programs and documents only
        • Scan these attachments and locations
          • PC hard drives (automatic)
          • Email attachments
          • Network drives
        • Scan for there threats
          • Viruses, Trojans, worms, bots, rootkits (automatic)
          • Spyware and other potentially unwanted programs
        • Boosts my protection
          • Use active protection for live defense against threats
          • Scan for viruses by identifying threats patterns
        • Check removable media drives
          • When I plug in a drive, ask me to scan it
          • Always scan it automatically
          • Let Real- Time Scanning scan files as I use them
        • Choose how thoroughly to scan my PC (Advanced)
          • Minimize the effect on my PC's speed, even though the scan is less thorough
          • Strike a balance between the scan thoroughness and my PC's speed (Recommended)
          • Scan more thoroughly, even though my PC might run slower

Real-Time Scanning.jpg

• Scan your PC [Lost features]
        • Run a custom scan

Scan your PC.jpg

Then the question is ... With less features McAfee is efficient to detect viruses?

Do you think mcafee still cares about safety or is losing his way?

• 1. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
          exbrit

There is a new GUI out that is only on a few installs. It is installed on random retail installs of subscriptions bought from McAfee.

15.1 has a smaller footprint and scans faster.  The Scheduled Scan feature has gone but they are reviewing that.

It is still protecting as much or more than before.   Plug-in drives are scanned when used.

Some info re it: new LAM ( Lightweight anyimalware) install FAQs

• 2. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
            ronyguevara

Ok, I want lets clear something, in the URL you add in your answer appear some thing that worried me:

• What happened to Spyware and PUP detection?
              • As their name implies, PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) are potentially unwanted; PUPs are not classified as malware or viruses. We are always working to ensure that our security software keeps our users safe, but we also want to ensure that we minimize the performance impact on the computer. With the introduction of our new LAM architecture, we decided that, at least for the initial major versions, to leave Spyware and PUP detection out of the product. We will review this decision and, depending on customer feedback, will re-introduce this coverage if it is deemed necessary.

First at all, I want that you know my principal job is fix and give solutions to my customers in its networks and users PCs, well this consultant service includes, find and destroy ransomware, viruses, malware and any unwanted program. Then I have many years doing this, at this time one of the most problematic situation is the PUP and malware, and I found that this situation increases because the users are bad training, accessing to any webpage on internet, I know, you tell me now why I can't do policies, because in many times I found customers or companies that is the less that they care, they want an Antivirus app and think that is infallible, but I know that is not infallible. Finally the other solution that I was found very useful is use Malwarebytes. In many times I finally finish destroying all the PUP and malware with this last tool and is a free tool. Like I said, the principal problem are PUP and Malware, Virus is very rare to find at these days. Well at least in my country.

Well, a few days ago I did a scan to hard disk from a customer of mine that I know was infected, the results was disturbing, with McAfee only 2 contaminated files and Malwarebytes found 187 files contaminated, now maybe you tell me "false positive", but in my expertise more than 150 files detected by Malwarebytes are "Completely positives".

Now lets see the reviews into PC Magazine from the link that is posted in the article that you share with me: PC Magazine - McAfee LiveSafe (2017)

PROS:

• Protects every Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS device in your household. Biometrically-authenticated cloud storage. Password manager emphasizes multifactor authentication. Many bonus features.

CONS:

• Mediocre antivirus lab results. Poor antiphishing score. Limited parental control.

BOTTOM LINE:

• LiveSafe was McAfee's first unlimited-license cross-platform security product. In addition to protecting all your devices, it offers a unique encrypted cloud storage system.

SUBRATINGS

• Firewall: 3.5
            • Antivirus: 4
            • Performance: 3.5
            • Privacy: 2.5
            • Parental Control: 2

Well the PC Magazine rating for the McAfee LiveSafe 2017 is alarming.

"it offers a unique encrypted cloud storage system.", Mmmm... I can't install into Windows 8.1 Pro because I don't want do an Online Outlook account for Windows, because I don't want share any information with Microsoft, about how I use my PC. Indeed I have all the options to send information to Microsoft turned off into Windows 8.1 Pro and when I've used Windows 10 I turned off Cortana too, because I love my privacy, don't you? Finally the McAfee customer support told me that doesn't exist any offline setup to install McAfee Central.

The thing that most worried me is that I have 1359 left days to finish my subscription and the McAfee LiveSafe is deteriorating.

Finally other question:

McAfee tools are better or each day are worst?

For me McAfee is losing his way like Symantec ... What matters less to companies is the end users.

• 3. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
              exbrit

These aren't questions that Moderators can answer..  However you can't compare MBAM and McAfee A/V - they may both be anti-malware but MBAM is designed specifically to supplement A/V -  although the latest MBAM Pro v3.x is designed to replace A/V, or so I've read.    Time and experience will tell I guess.

selvan can you break in here please?

• 4. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
                sutieday

I have to agree with

• 5. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
                  selvan

Hi Rony,

You can do a Re-install and roll back to 14.0 R11 if you prefer to.

Meanwhile I will pass on the feedback from you as well as Clinton to the concerned.

• 7. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
                    ronyguevara

Thanks Selvan, I've uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it, now at this time I use the version 14.0 R11 again , and thanks too, for take my observations in consideration.

Best Regards!

• 8. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
                      ronyguevara

Thank you very much sutieday for your concern about this situation. I think is important that you told your thought too, for request better improvements to McAfee developers.

Best Regards!

• 9. Re: McAfee LiveSafe v.14.0 R11 vs v.15.1 R0, less features, what is missing? Is an efficient tool yet?
                        nnnnmm

Ronyguevara,

Thanks very much for spending the time on your excellent analysis of feature loss.

I agree completely with your assessment that we're losing some valuable features.

In many cases,too many features are bothersome and unhelpful, BUT with an antivirus/security system, I want to know what is going on and to be able to control it. I found even the V14 to be rather opaque about what is going on, and where I can change things.

Why do software designers thing that the "big block to click" nested interface is better than 1 menu bar at the top where all functionality (well most of it) is visible is better?

Also, I would note that even with my 7 year old Dell laptop, I never (well mostly never) felt that the McAfee scanner was causing a performance issue.

Now with 57 copies of QcShm.exe running, I'm not so sure about what is causing the long delays in switching between applications. At least the number has not increased since I posted my other query yesterday. That's something to be thankful for.  However, still get the msg "An update is being installed" almost 24 hrs later (and no telling when that started).

Oh well.

NNNN MM

(why can't I "like" the original post, is that standard for all starting Qs)