5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 10:21 AM by birdcaje

Stuck on Update

jaybiggs

The McAfee tray icon cannot be interacted with at all. When I double click on it, it says "An update is being installed. Please wait until the McAfee finishes the installation of your software." I cannot scan files or do anything.

I have ran the MVT tool which detected 8 or 9 errors but could not fix them so I reinstalled McAfee. It was fine for a few hours and this issue came back.

The issue seems to have first appeared after installing a bunch of Windows updates to Windows 7. I have had so many problems with McAfee software on this admittedly aging laptop.

• 1. Re: Stuck on Update
          Peacekeeper

What are the laptop specs

That said when You uninstalled did you follow

Uninstall Mcafee steps

Also before you reinstall try

Using the Pre-Install tool

If you experience an issue while installing on your Windows computer, try using the McAfee Pre-Install tool which prepares your computer for the install:

1. Download the following file and save it to your desktop: Pre-InstallTool.
          2. Double-click the Pre-Install_Tool.exe file, and follow the prompts.
          3. Read the warning message and click OK to agree to the changes.
          4. After the Preinstall Tool completes, click OK, then click Close and restart your computer.
          5. When your computer restarts, try to install your McAfee product again

If issue still happens call support for your country

Support Portal

• 2. Re: Stuck on Update
            jaybiggs

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.161011-0600)

System Model: HP G71 Notebook PC             

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4300  @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

I did follow the uninstall McAfee steps, though I didnt try the pre-install tool yet. I will when I have some time. I will keep the topic updated. Thank you

• 3. Re: Stuck on Update
              Peacekeeper

Yes aging but specs should be ok for the Mcafee install. try the preinstall tool after uninstalling if still an issue best to call support

Call support

Also ensure MS updates are fully updated and IE is latest version that 7 supports

• 4. Re: Stuck on Update
                jaybiggs

I restarted my laptop and as soon as McAfee loaded and I was able to open it, I told it to check for updates. I did this with the program window up, not minimized to tray. It told me I should close the window for the update to work properly but I declined and let it do its thing. It updated normally and seems to be fixed now.

I didn't need to reinstall

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Stuck on Update
                  birdcaje

I too merely restarted after McAfee got stuck and then told it to update through the Action Center.  That worked.  I turned off auto update and not update manually in order to prevent the program from getting stuck. (Alienware, Win7 w/SP1, i7Chipset, using Chrome, favorite food: Brownies)