1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 1:45 PM by wrobeld

Problems removing McAfee Agent

ptulloch

Hello

I have a Windows 10 64-bit PC which seems to be very unhappy with both the agent and VirusScan on it.  I wanted to remove them both so I could start fresh and put them back on.  I've managed to remove VirusScan (I think), but can't remove the agent (which doesn't appear in Programs and Features despite apparently still being installed).  The task from the ePO doesn't seem to work, and when I try to run firminst.exe /forceuninstall I get this message:

agent.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove the agent and ideally any remaining traces of either product so I can start fresh with this client?  The agent version is 5.0.4.

Thanks

Paul

• 1. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
          tao

Have you verified that "frminst.exe" is still there:  C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\x86\frminst.exe  If not, may just be a corrupt install/uninstall, you may just want to re-install/uninstall the agent.

• 2. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
            ptulloch

Hi tao

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the file itself is still there, along with plenty of other files in the Program Files\McAfee\Agent\x86 directory.  When I first began looking at this issue, I actually upgraded the agent to the current version but the machine carried on misbehaving.  Now I just want to try and remove all traces and start again.

From the ePO, deleting the client and checking the box to remove the agent on the next communication interval does nothing, which I suppose isn't surprising considering the error I have screenshotted above.

• 3. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
              Moe Hassan

ptulloch, i'm assuming you have tried running the command with /forceuninstall switch? also, is it possible to copy and run the framepkg.exe file locally on that system? it will overwrite the existing installation and fix the corruption.

FYI - How to manually remove McAfee Agent 4.8, 4.6, 4.5, or 4.0

You may also see KB60556.

• 4. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                ptulloch

Hi Moe

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the screenshot in my original post is the result of using the /forceuninstall switch.

I will try copying the package directly to the machine and see whether it makes any difference.  I can't say I'm confident though because I did upgrade the agent version from the ePO apparently successfully but the machine was still unhappy with VirusScan (constantly working the CPU very hard, failing to update client tasks and DATs, apps not appearing in Programs and Features etc).  I was hoping to remove all traces and start from scratch.

I'll look at using the manual removal process as a last resort.

• 5. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                  tao

You can try:

How to uninstall McAfee Windows security software using the Consumer Products Removal tool Document ID: TS101331

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                    ptulloch

Thanks tao

I'll have a look at this tool and report back on success.

• 7. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                      woody188

The frminst.exe just calls msiexec.exe for the uninstall portion:

2016-12-15 17:11:58 I 1372 Setup    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /x {E331BB15-BD19-48E2-916E-7E49357F905F} FORCEUNINSTALL=True /q REBOOT=R /l+*v "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\McAfeeLogs\MFEagent.msi.2016.12.15.17.11.58.log" FRMINSTLOGFILE="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\McAfeeLogs\FrmInst_FA023004000017"

So maybe try it directly with this command, but replace the package code with your ID:

msiexec /x {E331BB15-BD19-48E2-916E-7E49357F905F} FORCEUNINSTALL=True /q REBOOT=R

You can query for the package code with wmic to make sure it's right if you need:

wmic:root\cli>/node:HOSTNAME product where name="McAfee Agent" get name,packagecode,vendor

or try to remove it:

wmic:root\cli>/node:HOSTNAME product where name="McAfee Agent" call uninstall /nointeractive

If running locally just ditch the /node portion.

• 8. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                        ptulloch

Thanks woody188, this looks really useful.  I might not be able to get on the machine for a few days, but I'll let you know how this goes.

• 9. Re: Problems removing McAfee Agent
                          ptulloch

woody188 - if I try the command to determine the package code, either locally with no hostname, or remotely with the hostname specified I get an error saying "the system cannot find the path specified".

tao - if I try the removal tool that you've suggested above I get an error saying that it has detected an enterprise installation and stops.

I hate to have to consider re-installing this machine just because McAfee is misbehaving but I'm wondering whether that is my only remaining option.

1 2 Previous Next