6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 10:45 AM by PhilR

Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)

sgrechtman

We currently have ePO 4.6.9 setup on a Win2003 x64 box, and our database is running on it's own VM (Server 2012 R2 / SQL 2012).

We are planning on upgrading to ePO 5.3.2 on new hardware running Server 2012 R2.  This will be a x64 to x64 migration so can I still follow the steps in KB82808?

McAfee Corporate KB - How to upgrade and migrate ePolicy Orchestrator 4.x to 5.x and from a 32-bit to a 64-bit operating…

After everything is setup on the new box, I would like to keep the same hostname/IP as well.  I'm hoping this is possible.

Example:

current:  eposerver01 / 192.168.10.14

new:  eposerver02 / 192.168.10.15

and after everything is migrated the new server will be "eposerver01" with IP 192.168.10.14 and I would rename the old server to "eposerverold" and change the IP.  Does this sound like it would work?

• 1. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
          tao

Question: Why not just do a fresh install of ePO 5.3.2 on the new hardware?  Once that's done, then follow - How to transfer/move computers from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another Technical Articles ID:   KB79283 Last Modified:  10/4/2016 McAfee Corporate KB - How to transfer/move computers from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another KB79283

Granted, this is not taking into consideration any of your "requirements or environment" - Just a high level suggestion.

• 2. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
            sgrechtman

Well that might work, but we do have a complex environment.  We are a large health care organization with 10,000+ endpoints.  This upgrade/migration needs to have little to no impact on end users.

And technically it would be a fresh install of 5.3.2 on the new server...it would just be bringing the migration data over from the UpgradeCompatibility tool.

• 3. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
              tao

Did a migration from ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2 / new hardware & new DB / over 40,000 nodes - what really took the most time was the PRE - configuration of 5.3.2 (Tags, Tasks, Product Deployment, System Tree, Policies, Queries, etc..) Even before transfer/moving a single node, making sure that what was in 4.6.9 (Tags, Tasks, Product Deployment, System Tree, Policies, Queries, etc ..) mapped/mirrored over to 5.3.2 system tree.  So, when a transfer/moved happened, the node sorted to the correct location within the system tree.

A  good portion of the PRE - configuration was just a 4.6.9 export (Tags, Tasks so on ...) <> 5.3.2 import - Granted, there was no custom configuration and there was some recreation of Tags, Task, ect ... - Did a slow migration transfer/move lasting 3 - 4 months & No user impact. 

• 4. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
                PhilR

Easiest to use the migration tool to check compatibility of checked in extensions and migrate to the new server.

Worked a treat for my 4.6.9 Windows 2003 to 5.3.2 Windows 2012 R2 migrations.

Just make sure the new server has same IP address as old (and / or the same name).

Cheers,

Phil

• 5. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
                  sgrechtman

Phil,

So after compiling the migration package from the old server...Will I need the old server for anything else?  Can it be taken offline and/or renamed along with a new IP?  Then apply the original name/IP to the new server?

• 6. Re: Migrate to new server (ePO 4.6.9 to 5.3.2)
                    PhilR

When I did it I shut down the old server, removed it from active directory, renamed the new server to the old name and set its IP to the old IP and then installed ePO server 5.3.2.

Worked a treat.

But don't forget the post-5.3.2 hotfixes for ePO.

Phil