9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 11:32 PM by catdaddy

Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming

terryrobinson

I am running McAfee Total Protection on a Win 7 64-bit machine and have been absolutely hijacked by adware intrusions.  I have run the McAfee scans and it has detected no issues or concerns, yet I get completely hijacked when browsing various links from simple sites such as cnn.com.  Newpoptab is clearly infecting  my machine along with what appears to be other unwanted adware, malware or viruses.  I scan with McAfee and don't find any issues.  Is McAfee unable to detect adware?  Malware?  I would have expected that it would detect and correct these concerns.  It's become nearly impossible to use my browser with the frequency of redirection that I'm seeing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
          selvan

Hi Terry,

It is quite possible that the Adware are added as Toolbars within your web browsers. Please re-visit the list of Add-ons, Plugins and toolbars that is installed on all of your web browsers and get rid of the ones that you're unaware.

Some websites trick you to install these add-ons / toolbars by indicating a message that one or many browser components is out of date though you've the latest components. For instance you may get a message "Your flash is out of date" while accessing a video on the Internet.

McAfee WebAdvisor which when installed on your web browsers blocks all dangerous websites and scans your downloads preventing the install of these Add-ons / Toolbars.

• 3. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
            catdaddy

To run as a second opinion and a compliment to your McAfee Protection. I suggest running Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, followed up by running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free). Both of these and other Superb (Free) tools can be obtained here; Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

I might add that this Reputable Removal Guide suggests the same Tools also. It also explains how one may have obtained programs as such:

Remove Newpoptab.com pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide)  Running both of those programs recommended should suffice in resolving your issue.

All the Best,

Cliff

Consumer Products

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
              terryrobinson

Chinthanai & Catdaddy, thanks to both of you for your quick reply.  I've run AdwCleaner and Malware Bytes scans and fully cleansed all threats that were discovered.  This seems to have addressed the Newpoptab issue.  Despite all of those scans I'm still having issues with browser request redirections through a site called tradeadexchange.  McAfee intercepts these requests and blocks them, but I would like to eliminate this unwanted adware from my machine.  The performance of my browser seems to be negatively impacted as well.  Typically using Firefox, which has not apparently unwanted add-ons at this point..  Would very much appreciate any further advice you may have.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
                catdaddy

Hi Terry,

Please follow step #4 in this Removal Guide. (Zemana Anti-Malware) Delete and remove any items it may detect/Reboot. I would clear all of your Browser caches as well. Kindly report back if you are still experiencing issues.  Remove tradeadexchange.com pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide)

(Note): Since you state that your McAfee Software is detecting and blocking the mentioned Adware. Have you gone to your Quarantined file area and manually (Deleted) the detection(s)?

Also check your Programs and Features in your Control Panel, to make certain there is no untoward\installed program that could have been bundled with this Adware.

It may be the case you will need to seek further ( Expert ) assistance from individuals whom deal more in-depth on these matters on a daily basis.

Awaiting your reply....

Sincerely,

Cliff

• 6. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
                  catdaddy

Hi Terry,

I was wondering if you resolved your issues?

Thanks,

Cliff

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
                    terryrobinson

Cliff, thanks for the follow-up.  I completed the cleansing actions in the guides that you forwarded and it appears to have addressed the issue.  We had a full work day on the machine yesterday without any difficulties.  Really appreciate your responsiveness and direction.  Very helpful!!

• 8. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
                      catdaddy

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your correspondence\confirmation. I am glad that all is okay now. Can we now consider this thread answered? If you ever need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Note:  I took the liberty of marking this thread answered, I hope you do not mind?

All the very Best,

Cliff/CD

• 9. Re: Help - Adware Infection is Overwhelming
                        catdaddy

Locking this thread as it has been 'Correctly Answered'.