6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 4:22 AM by tomcamish

DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation

tomcamish

Afternoon All,

I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and done lots of searching but can't find a way to get this working.

We recently had a 3rd party come on site and upgrade our EPO and also upgrade DLP to DLP 10. All of our machines (those that bothered to connect to the EPO) currently have DLP 9.3 installed. The engineer created a client task to remove DLP 9.3 that we can push out using some Tags to give us control over where we uninstall first. I have tested this on a number of Windows 7 PCs and the uninstallation of 9.3, followed by the installation of DLP10 worked a charm.

My own laptop (Windows 8.1) currently has DLP 9.3.600.32 installed. When I run the client task to uninstall it, it fails with reason "unknown error". Similarly, if i try to install DLP 10, it fails stating it cannot open a registry key.

So, how do I uninstall DLP 9.3? I have attempted to generate an uninstall code, however now that our EPO has DLP 10, which is only backwards compatible as far as DLP 9.4, none of the codes are accepted.

I haven't long had the laptop and really don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilding it.

Any help in advance would be great.

Thanks

• 1. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
          hhoang

The quickest solution may be to just attempt to "repair" the existing installation - try running an install task for 9.3.6 over the top of the existing install. 

There are ways to manually uninstall but if it gets to that point I would recommend reaching out to McAfee support.

A possible alternative may be to attempt to manually run the install to generate a log and see exactly why it is failing.  On your EPO server:

<EPO install dir>\db\software\<branch>\DLPAGENT9300\Install\0409\

Note:  Branch denotes the repository branch that your 9.3 install sits in within your master repository.  Menu > master repository if you are not sure.

There will be two wrapped executables in this directory - select the correct executable for your system and run the following command in command line:

#cd <EPO install dir>\db\software\<branch>\DLPAGENT9300\Install\0409\

#DLPAgentInstaller.x<64 or 86>.exe /extract

This will give you the MSI installer file.  Copy this file to your system and you can try doing installs/uninstalls/repairs with it.  Use the command line option of "/L*V c:\<filename>" to generate a log file.  If you need you can attach the log here if you continue having issues.

• 2. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
            tomcamish

hhoang wrote:

The quickest solution may be to just attempt to "repair" the existing installation - try running an install task for 9.3.6 over the top of the existing install. 

There are ways to manually uninstall but if it gets to that point I would recommend reaching out to McAfee support.

A possible alternative may be to attempt to manually run the install to generate a log and see exactly why it is failing.  On your EPO server:

<EPO install dir>\db\software\<branch>\DLPAGENT9300\Install\0409\

Note:  Branch denotes the repository branch that your 9.3 install sits in within your master repository.  Menu > master repository if you are not sure.

There will be two wrapped executables in this directory - select the correct executable for your system and run the following command in command line:

#cd <EPO install dir>\db\software\<branch>\DLPAGENT9300\Install\0409\

#DLPAgentInstaller.x<64 or 86>.exe /extract

This will give you the MSI installer file.  Copy this file to your system and you can try doing installs/uninstalls/repairs with it.  Use the command line option of "/L*V c:\<filename>" to generate a log file.  If you need you can attach the log here if you continue having issues.

Thanks for your reply.

I have attempted an uninstall using the extracted MSI - this requests a release code so unfortunately I cannot get far enough for it to fail and give me a log file.

I have also attempted a repair using the extracted MSI which seemed to complete successfully. After I ran this I tried the Remove DLP 9.3 client task, which gain failed with reason "unknown error".7

If I use the same method to install DLP 10, the first thing it tries to do is uninstall DLP 9.3, and asks for a release code.

I really don't want to have to rebuild my laptop!

• 3. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
              hhoang

When trying to uninstall - you can generate the uninstall release code from your EPO server by going to the Help Desk section (Menu > Help Desk).  There will be two sections on the left 'Data Loss Prevention' and 'Data Loss Prevention 9.4 and above'.  Make sure you select the one that says only Data Loss Prevention and generate uninstall client key.  Once you get past that portion then we can look at the uninstall log. 

• 4. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
                tomcamish

Hi,

I know about the help desk feature, however DLP 10 is only compatible with clients running DLP 9.4 and greater. As the client I am attempting to uninstall has DLP 9.3, the EPO cannot create an uninstall code for it.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
                  Moe Hassan

If your intention is to replace DLPe 9.3 with 10, you can simply overwrite the existing installation. Removing 9.3 is not required. Please try this method. Simply send the DLPe 10 deployment task to clients.

• 6. Re: DLP 9.3.600.32 uninstallation
                    tomcamish

Moe Hassan wrote:

If your intention is to replace DLPe 9.3 with 10, you can simply overwrite the existing installation. Removing 9.3 is not required. Please try this method. Simply send the DLPe 10 deployment task to clients.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, however as it says in my original post, if I try to install DLP 10 over the top, it fails with an error stating it cannot open a registry key or fails with the reason "unknown error".

Thanks,