4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 10:09 AM by junior049

Unable to Install ePO - SQL 2005 Backward Compatibility

Hi,

I'm trying to install ePO 4.0 (base package) but am recieving the message "the installation of MSSQL backward compatibility failed" during the initial part of the install. The server I'm trying to install it on is already running SQL 2005 (for WSUS and SCE2005) and backward compatibility is already installed. (Backward Compatibility for SQL 2005 shows up in Add/Remove programs as an installed program). I am unable to install ePO since the installer will not progress any further until this SQL add on is installed - which it already is.

Is there some glitch in the installer?
      Is this a known issue?
      Can I get around it somehow?

Thanks in Advance,

Henry
        • 1. ePO installer does not recognize SQL 2005 SP2 BC component
          Hi,

No answers so I took the chance on uninstalling the BC component (SQL 2005 SP2) and replacing the install package BC component with the SP2 version. The installer then detected that it must install the BC component (rightfully so since I had just removed it).

The install completed successfully.

Perhaps the next ePO release or patch should be able to determine if the BC component is already installed - even BC components with higher revisions than that which ships with the ePO product.

Have a great day!

Henry
          • 2. ePO installer does not recognize SQL 2005 SP2 BC component
            Hello,

Thanks for posting you solution. I have installed SQL 2005, including the BC components. Then I upgrade to SP2 for SQL 2005. I tried the ePO installation and received the same error you were receiving so I uninstalled the BC components and tried to let McAfee just install them as it was trying. I am still getting the same error.
            Any other info you could provide is greatly appreciated.

I am working on a Windows 2008 (64-bit), with SQL 2005 (64-bit), virtual machine (ESX).

Cheers,

Jeff
            • 3. RE: ePO installer does not recognize SQL 2005 SP2 BC component
              Hi,

When you extracted the ePO install files go to the "Setup" directory. There should be a subdirectory "SQL2K5BC" and the BC component installation file is located there. I beleive I downloaded the SP2 version from Microsoft and replaced the version from the ePO installation. Make sure you have uninstalled the version that was installed with SQL and then attempt the install using the modified ePO install.

Good Luck.

Henry
              • 4. RE: ePO installer does not recognize SQL 2005 SP2 BC component
                Henry,

Thank you for clarifying.....that worked perfectly! I appreciate the response.

Thanks,

Jeff