1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 12:27 PM by jtemple

EPO 4.0 Settings Documentation

Has anyone created documentation for their EPO 4.0 server settings that they can share as a template.

I find myself tasked with the daunting job of documenting all these damn settings, and a template would really come in handy right now. Any templates that the community has already created would be greatly appreciated!

I imagine some of the folks at McAfee already have this type of thing lying around already!

----------------------------------- Uploaded the docs numerous people asked for -----------------------------------

If you improve upon these please reshare with the community.

I plan to update them to EPO 4.5 and VS 8.7i after I finish up my EPO 4.5 deployment here soon. Will also add a basic Visio document as well after I sanitize the files.

Message was edited by: Robert Rathbun on 11/6/09 8:12 PM
        • 1. Templates
          Hey Robert,

Do you still have the template for documenting the server settings and scan polices.

If so I could really use them. I have been tasked with the same situation.

Thanks
          • 2. Docs & Templates
            SergeM
            I'd be interested as well. So far all I have is a basic check-list with the different install parameters used when setting up the server...

Serge
            • 3. RE: Docs & Templates
              Maybe we should discuss the options, features and customisation options that should be in a document and we can produce one from the resulting discussion?

(Id like a template of something already written too, but they are rarely offered.)

I think there are two aspects to documentation for this product.

1. A build/recovery document and
              2. A management and maintenance document.

Do any of you feel like working together to create something?
              • 4. RE: Docs & Templates
                SergeM

Hi,

I've never done that (or seen a doc that might help) but I'm interested and would help with what I can.

Serge
                • 5. policy/settings documentation
                  I was just replying to RRathbun from another post he had about Transferring Epo to a new server. If he needs a place to host the file. I can come up with something. I have tried to email him and it gets kicked back...

But if all else fails I would also be willing to work on something with everyone. I have a semi default setup doc that a consultant put together for us. But nothing on backup and recovery.

RRATHBUN

As for the policy/settings documentation I need find a site so I can share it with multiple people. For now just send me an email and I should respond back within a few days. Email address is robert_rathbun@hotmail.com

• 6. RE: policy/settings documentation
                    If your environment is stable, I would just take screen shots of all the policies you use as back up documentation and for Disaster recovery I would export all my policies to XML and save them with my screenshots.
                    • 8. Re: EPO 4.0 Settings Documentation
                      jmcleish

Robert,

I had a quick look through your templates and noticed that it said that you do not backup your ePO database.

Is this correct?

Do you really not backup your DB?

You may want to start backing it up and follow the McAfee recommend procedure to do so from their KB article:

Recommended steps for backing up or disaster recovery of the ePO 4.5 server

KB66616

or

Recommended steps for migrating or moving the ePO 4.0 server to a new system

KB67184

The last thing you want to do is recreate everything from scratch if your server dies.

Jane

• 9. Re: EPO 4.0 Settings Documentation
                        jgriffin

Robert,

I would highly recommend and completely agree with jmcleish on this regarding backing up your ePO server database, along with necessary recovery files.

The steps mentioned in each of the articles mentioned (KB66616 & KB67184) were developed and reviewed by the McAfee Tier 3 team here.

Hope this helps!

John

1 2 Previous Next