0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 10:53 AM by mcvoodoo

Installing Agent 4.8 and VirusScan 8.8 on non-persistent Citrix PVS VDI’s

mcvoodoo

Hi,

I’m looking to get the McAfee Agent 4.8 patch 3 and VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 patch 8 set up on 200 or so Citrix PVS VDI’s in the next couple of weeks and I’m looking for people’s input on the best way to install them.  I’ll highlight I’m no Citrix expect; the Citrix side of this is being designed by our Citrix SME.  I’ve just been asked the best way to install and configure the McAfee components on them.

First thing to say is that we don’t want to upgrade to McAfee Agent to version 5 or VirusScan to EPS just yet.  They’re in the road map but we're not wanting to move to them just yet.  Also, we do not want to implement MOVE as we want to retain the elements of VSE that MOVE doesn’t include, plus we don’ t have anything in the budget to cover its purchase at the moment.

The VDI’s will be set up using XenDesktop 7.6 PVS with no private disks.  Each VDi will have a read only C drive created from the PVS image and a persistent D drive attached to each VDI for persistent data.  We’d like to install the DAT files on the D drive so that they don’t fall too far out of date, but from what I’ve read this is impossible with VSE 8.8 due to the DAT location being partially determined by an OS system variable path (is my understanding correct?).  Obviously I’ll be installing the Agent in VDI mode and will be requesting that the McAfee GUID is deleted from the registry prior to making the gold image read only.

As well as initial setup we’ll also need to consider how to upgrade the Agent and VirusScan going forwards.  We don’t want to have to create the VDI’s each time we need to upgrade the McAfee software running on them.  The gold image is updated once a month with all relevant patches and these will include patches for the McAfee components when updates are made available for them.

So given the above, how would people go about installing the Agent and VSE on this setup?  All on the C drive?  Or should elements be installed on the persistent D drive?

Thanks

C