1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 2:35 AM by catdaddy

Why is malware detection worsening?

cavehomme1

After a good run of very good scores last year with the independent malware testing organisations, McAfee has this year been steadily declining.

I would expect with Real Protect incorporated to see a marked improvement in detection.

I have also noted, mentioned on another thread, that the malware detection provided in the new Webadvisor is excellent at detecting zero day trojan downloaders, unlike the standard Virusscan product.

Perhaps these observations are related and explain my first point? Whatever, McAfee need to reconcile such differences and rapidly imporve detection overall before you lose credibility; you are marginally better than the default Windows Defender currently, that's poor and 14th position from 19 is noting to be proud about, especially when several companies are getting 100% detection with zero false-positives in these independent tests: AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

• 1. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
          Peter M

It all depends on which test results you read as they all use different parameters.

This November 3rd one is good but a very long read.  https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/avc_per_201610_en.pdf

A summary:

November 3, 2016 – The Austrian anti-malware test lab AV-Comparatives has published the latest results of its bi-annual performance test. In the test McAfee Internet Security 2017 achieved a TOP 3 result and is therefore awarded with the highest possible rating: ADVANCED+

According to the test results McAfee outperformed vendors such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Trend Micro and Microsoft (Symantec chooses not to participate in tests conducted by AV-Comparatives).

In its report AV-Comparatives focuses on the impact by security products on PC performance and tests were conducted on 64-Bit, Windows 10 Home systems. The chart below shows all vendors that were included in the test and a lower score is better.

• 2. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
            cavehomme1

I am referring to the real time protection test which is the most valid protection test for most users.

I agree that McAfee is superb on low impact on resources and I really welcome that, it's very important, but failing 2.5% of live samples when several fail 0% is not very good. If we compared, say, against another company that had a 0.5% failure rate then McAfee users have a 5 times higher risk of infection, comparatively.

I really like McAfee and do not want to switch, it has several layers of defense + I use Hitmanpro, but with Real Protect there are some conflicts and I would expect the new 2017 product to be better than 2015 and 201 products not worse at detection. I would like to understand what is happening and why the worsening. I don't want McAfee to be just a bit better than the default offering of Windows defender, I want it to be up there in the lead with Avira, Bitdefender, Kasperky at or near 100% detection!

• 3. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
              Peacekeeper

I also wonder if they used the new 15.1 version as it is not released everywhere as yet.

• 4. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                Peter M

cavehomme1 wrote:

I am referring to the real time protection test which is the most valid protection test for most users.

I agree that McAfee is superb on low impact on resources and I really welcome that, it's very important, but failing 2.5% of live samples when several fail 0% is not very good. If we compared, say, against another company that had a 0.5% failure rate then McAfee users have a 5 times higher risk of infection, comparatively.

I really like McAfee and do not want to switch, it has several layers of defense + I use Hitmanpro, but with Real Protect there are some conflicts and I would expect the new 2017 product to be better than 2015 and 201 products not worse at detection. I would like to understand what is happening and why the worsening. I don't want McAfee to be just a bit better than the default offering of Windows defender, I want it to be up there in the lead with Avira, Bitdefender, Kasperky at or near 100% detection!

I guess I'd have to go digging for fairer comparisons and as Peacekeeper says, I wonder what version they used.

• 5. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                  cavehomme1

It's a good point about which version they used for testing. Today I came across the Q3 MRG Effitas test and they show the version numbers, 15.0.166 in their case. In their ransomeware test McAfee was poor and I hope this is explained by way of the version number used.

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessmen t-Q3-2016.pdf

Today I also re-tried McAfee 15.1 (AVP 2017) with IPS on high, plus Hitmanpro.alert alongside, no conflicts so far, so something somewhere has changed, so perhaps there is no longer a conflict with Real Protect.

I really like the multiple layers of McAfee products and the lack of resource impact, unlike most other products out there. Even Windows Defender has a resource impact compared with McAfee!

On a seperate note, I have also contacted technical support 4 times and 3 out of 4 they were really very good, far better than other companies I have had to contact. One experience was so-so. One of these 3good  experiences was outstanding, 10 out of 10. McAfee is worth every penny.

• 6. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                    Peter M

Good to hear, thanks.

• 7. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                      jonnywalker

I totally agree that McAfee has to do something about the detection  rate. As I mentioned in another thread it is not acceptable that supposed to be a premium product has an detection rate on the same level as windows own. If avast scores 99,6 % detection rate in it´s free version and AVG and AVIRA blocks 100% both can be downloaded as free versions with that protection rate. McAfee blocks 97,6%. So what do I get for my money ? Well some other nice features are included.

But what I realy want for my money is a product that scores in the top segment of detection rate. It been a long time since McAfee  was there. And yes I renewed my license for another year and yes I like the product. But please McAfee do something about the detection rate. And for the versions used in the test they use the latest version at that time and it´s the same for the other vendors. So the comparison is fair.

• 8. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                        catdaddy

While I can certainly understand your input,again there are so many Independent Entities that have varying degrees\methodology of how they come to a conclusion. Now having said this...May I ask you have you been compromised\infected ?

Please know that I am not being bias, as I am a (Volunteer Moderator) and am basically a subscriber to our Software,same as you. Having said this..I cannot recall an occasion that the software has failed to follow through and efficiently (Protect) me with all the layers of protection it provides.

As always, there is no product out there that can (100%) prevent the ever evolving exploits in all aspects, to include (Ransomware). (Bar none).

Just thought I would add my 2 cents 

Sincerely,

Cliff

Consumer Products

• 9. Re: Why is malware detection worsening?
                          jonnywalker

Hi.

I use malwarebytes for doing a secondary scan sometimes on my computer, and a couple of times it detected and remowed what malwarebytes saw as a threat which McAfee did not recognice. If that was a real threat or not is beyond my expertise it´s not quite my field. I realy was not writing my post to make critic that is not relevant. I´m writing it because i´m concerned of the reputation of McAfee anti virus program. If I didn´t like it I shouldn´t stuck with it for 6 years now. And yes I now no program allways detects 100%. But some programs is up there almost everytime a new monthly test is published. And other programs are climbing upwards. But McAfee seems to either go downwards or stay at the same level. What I want is to see an upgoing trend. I´m sure most of the users would like to see the same. With that said I would like to give credit for it´s customer service who gave me a good deal when I renewed my license and helped me get rid of the via acer preinstalled program. So now I get it directly from McAfee AFFID 0. And the times I had to contact technical support they were helpfull to even if they didn´t solved my problem (which were caused by a bug in an uppdate from McAfee. If you remember when McAfee was unable to update itself. Not the smartest thing for an antivirusprogram to have a problem with. But they solved it. But it took quite a while.)

Thank´s for your reply no hard feelings I hope ?

JW

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          1 2 Previous Next