5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2008 10:23 AM by FnR

McAfee training courses - worthwhile?

Background: currently administer an inherited ePO 3.6 system with roughly 3500 clients (VSE 8.5, HIPS 7, CMA 3.6). Starting to look into moving towards ePO 4.0 and CMA 4.0 eventually. So far self-taught in 3.6 from scratch using mostly the Mcafee docs and posts from this site and others.

Question: as budget is formed for the ePO 4.0 migration there may be some opportunity to incorporate some training money. Has anyone here taken the ePO class from Mcafee? For someone who is pretty comfortable with ePo 3.6, is there really much to be learned from such a class? the class alone is roughly $3200 (not including travel and hotel/food/etc which would probably push it up to around the $5k for just one person). The class would have to be pretty informative to warrant me asking for that amount of money. Any comments or insight welcome...

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/services/product_training/intranet_defense.h tml
        • 1. RE: McAfee training courses - worthwhile?
          Last year, I took the 3.6.1 EPO Class and found it to be helpfull. I have since moved on to 4.0 and have been told "Unofficially" to wait until training for 4.1 is out. I guess the current 4.0 class is 3.6.1 with more emphasis on reporting. The class for 4.1 will be a rewrite.

Microtek in Downtown Chicago has a really nice facility and is withing walking distance to Trains and or Buses.

4.0 took some getting used to, but now I struggle when I have to look at a old 3.x epo box.

HIPS has just been dropped in lap and I am looking at that class.....Unfortunately it isn't offered in Illinois.
          • 2. RE: McAfee training courses - worthwhile?
            I took the ePO 4.0 class back in January 2008. You do a lot of basic things that you may already know. Install, configure, setup ePO. Agent wake up calls, installing agent, reporting, and so on so forth.

Yes 4.0 is different from 3.6, but if you know the fundamentals it may not be worth it for you. You may be better off buying some books on ePO 4.0 or 4.1 if possible and saving yourself or the company some money. I definitly do not think it is worth the 5k. I'd rather do some other technical training, perhaps SANS and get some better security training that can be used anywhere instead of ePO.
            • 3. RE: McAfee training courses - worthwhile?
              I took the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade class. I thought it was great LOTS of hands on. You when thorught the console and did on upgrade. I give it an A. I learned a lot. To be fair when I took the class I have very little experience with ePO. I am more comfortable now.
              • 4. RE: McAfee training courses - worthwhile?

Do you have any suggestions on this front? I had not thought about this actually, and I just did a brief search on amazon, but I did not find anything related to EPO.
                • 5. RE: McAfee training courses - worthwhile?
                  I'm sorry but I guess the books actually may come directly through mcafee training since they look like they were made in office. They are not really text books. However, you may have success by looking up white papers on ePO.