1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 6:54 AM by catdaddy

True Key requiring remote control of your PC????

unhappy13

TrueKey stopped working today, without any explanation. When I finally reached support on the chat (after several mistrials) they insisted on remotely logging into my computer to uninstall the old version and install the new version. I was appalled by this breach of security. Why can't I uninstall/install myself? It seems pretty easy to do. But it was not an option.

If I need to give permission for remote access every time there is a new TrueKey version, I will look for another password app.

• 1. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
          catdaddy

unhappy13,

Please know that if Technical Support requested you to allow them to 'Remote in', if you will. They were only attempting to assist you in resolving your issue. Having said this, I will initiate a request for a 'True Key Expert' to possibly add to the discussion.

Due to it being late Friday afternoon\near weekend, hopefully he will chime in.

marcd  Could you kindly assist this user?

Regards,

Cliff

Consumer Products

• 2. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
            marcd

We have identified an issue with the current True Key update on Windows that was released yesterday and is blocking access to the True Key app and this is what i think is happening on your system.

If you are experiencing this issue, you can resolve it by uninstalling the True Key app (using your Windows Settings or Control Panel) and then reinstalling it from truekey.com. Our team is working to identify the cause and release an official fix for the latest build.

Thanks,

MarcD

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
              catdaddy

Thank you Marc ! That was extremely quick.

• 4. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                dougk_t3

unhappy13,

There was a problem with yesterday's True Key release, and the solution for the issue you experienced is to uninstall and reinstall. (see below)

As for remoting to your computer, it's a very common method for assisting customers, not just here at Intel, but across the software industry. However, you *always* have the choice of whether to allow or decline that assistance. 

If you decline and you'd prefer to uninstall and reinstall yourself, that's perfectly fine.

If you accept the assistance, I would expect that you (the computer owner) would be watching and asking any questions during the agent's progress.  And of course, if you have any concerns about what the agent is doing, you can simply disconnect the agent even in the middle of a remote session.

As for the issue itself, we're creating an FAQ - it's written but hasn't been published yet.  When it is published on service.mcafee.com, it will likely be titled:

TS102587 - You are unable to log in to True Key for Windows after the November 3 release

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                  catdaddy

Thank you also Doug!

• 6. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                    unhappy13

When I ask if I can uninstall / install myself - your agent said that it was not possible.

I would have liked to do it myself.

Also - when I first accessed the chat it gave me the Arabic support. The Arabic agent gave me a link to the English support that referred me back to the Arabic support.

Then when the first agent transferred me to the TrueKey expert, the transfer hung. I needed to retype all of my information and start a chat again.

So not the best of service, overall.

But thanks for the clarification for what has happened and the prompt response here.

• 7. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                      marcd

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention, although there are some factors you mentioned here that are not under my control rest assure that I will escalate the situation you experienced and we will be correcting what needs to be.

Having said that, this forum is constantly supported by great and experienced moderators that can help you along with me to get the answers you seek and solutions to issues you have, very quickly, so please do not hesitate to reach out to us again here.

Thanks,

MarcD

• 8. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                        Peacekeeper

Have you the SR number for the chat?

• 9. Re: True Key requiring remote control of your PC????
                          marcd

Not yet, maybe we should ask that first.

Thanks,

MarcD

1 2 Previous Next