3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2008 9:33 AM by challiwag

ePO and Policy Updates

We have SBS2003 installed with McAfee Endpoint protection, VSE 8.5.0. We do not have Protection Pilot as this was not available as I download. I assume that PP has been replaced by the later ePO V4.0.

We have an issue with regards to the Fax Service running on the server. Error log entry below.

Blocked by port blocking rule C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe Anti-virus Standard Protection:Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail.

We added the executable to the Virus Scan Console>Access Protection>Anti-Virus Standard Protection>Prevent Mass MAiling Worms from sending email, and the problem went away for a short period, but has now returned after an update. I have found references in this forum to updating the PP Policy as this over rules the VSO policy, but as PP isn't installed where do I add this executable to stop it being blocked.

Thanks
        • 1. RE: ePO and Policy Updates
          challiwag
          Are you saying that this machine was manged by an old PP server and you now have an ePO server that is not manging this machine ?
          If that is the case then just send an agent to it from your ePO server and then use ePO to mange the policy for it.

If you are saying that you dont have a managment console at all and never have, then the rules should not be getting overwritten at all, and you should jsut be able to change the rules in access protection on the local machine.

And if no of the above apply, I have no idea what you are talking about silly
          • 2. RE: ePO and Policy Updates
            This is a brand new installation. The SBS2003 server is the management server with ePO management console, we have added 12 clients without any problems, and they are updating correctly.

The problem is with the SBS2003 server, as mention in my initial question, the server is detecting malware on itself, but the malware is the Fax Services.

We did the following

We added the executable to the Virus Scan Console>Access Protection>Anti-Virus Standard Protection>Prevent Mass MAiling Worms from sending email, and the problem went away for a short period, but has now returned after an update. I have found references in this forum to updating the PP Policy as this over rules the VSO policy, but as PP isn't installed where do I add this executable to stop it being blocked.

We don't have and have never had Protection Pilot, so I need to know how to stop the changes being undone after an update.
            • 3. RE: ePO and Policy Updates
              challiwag
              Go into the policy catalogue - virus scan - Access protection - anti-virus standard protection and edit the line for port 25 blocking(prevent mass mailing worms) and add your fax service process to the exlude list.