4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 11:56 AM by cdobol

Failure upgrading EPO from 4.6 to 5.2

nm250098

Hi,

Facing a critical problem.

Trying to upgrade EPO server from 4.6.6 to 5.2, however upgrade is failing continuously and rollback gets started.

One thing i observe is that rollback is starting after following message appears in setup's progress bar. Message :  "Upgrading database ...."

below message is  appearing in EPO510-Install-CustomAction.log, i'm not sure whether this calling the rollback.

"16:49:27 ePO510CALog: FAILURE: In LaunchApplication while trying to run the following program:

"C:\Users\EJSVC\AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs\EPO510-Troubleshoot\OutputFiles\ep oST.bat"

Return code: 1

16:49:27 ePO510CALog: Service MC"

Just to give an idea, i had a VM with EPO4.6.6, running in production environment, To test the upgrade process client copied this VM in their test environment so only IP and name of the VM is changed.

I've done this upgrade many time in my environment but never faced any such issue. I'm also attaching complete MCAFEE log if it could help.

Kindly help me resolving this

• 1. Re: Failure upgrading EPO from 4.6 to 5.2
          Dutchman39

Check your database rights, as well as database space

• 2. Re: Failure upgrading EPO from 4.6 to 5.2
            nm250098

Further checking the logs for above case found the reason of rollback,

Orion.log state:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.1.1.357\install.xml:111: java.sql.SQLException: Column names in each table must be unique. Column name 'SimpleDeployment' in table 'dbo.EPOTaskObjects' is specified more than once.

2016-10-04 16:49:18,553 ERROR [http-bio-8443-exec-7] ext.ExtensionInstaller  - Error installing package: rolling package back"

Similarly EPOst.err states:

"McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.1.1.357\install.xml:111: java.sql.SQLException: Column names in each table must be unique. Column name 'SimpleDeployment' in table 'dbo.EPOTaskObjects' is specified more than once"

However i've checked this table and column, but SimpleDeployment Column is specified only once in the table.

• 3. Re: Failure upgrading EPO from 4.6 to 5.2
              nm250098

Dutchman39

I've checked the database space and rights and both are sufficient as per McAfee suggestion.

As said earlier errors in logs is related to "Column name 'SimpleDeployment' in table 'dbo.EPOTaskObjects' is specified more than once" and when i checked the database then there was already a column "SimpleDeployment" in table EPOTaskObjects, therefore i think the DB Upgrade process is trying to create a same column again in this table thats why the error is produced and upgrade is rolled back.

I can delete this column and try upgrading again but my concern is what would be the impact of this column deletion.

• 4. Re: Failure upgrading EPO from 4.6 to 5.2
                cdobol

Hello...   I also found this in your log:

16:49:27 ePO510CALog: FAILURE: In LaunchApplication while trying to run the following program:

"C:\Users\EJSVC\AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs\EPO510-Troubleshoot\OutputFiles\ep oST.bat"

Return code: 1

Found a reference to that error here --> McAfee KnowledgeBase - FAILURE: In LaunchApplication while trying to run the following program: ActionName=Prod_InstallE…

Hopefully this relates to the issue you are seeing.