3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 4:54 AM by odyssey

Update Task with NO installation of Service Packs and Hofixes

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and also quiet new to EPO :)

At the moment i'm facing the problem, that some servers need a specific VSE Patch to run correctly (VSE 8.5 P1). But the Updater always starts installing Patch 6.

The update Task is configured to install only DAT and Engine updates, but the check box "Get other available updates..." in the update task of the VSE console is still activated?

If you need more information, just ask...

Hope you can help.

Many thanks!
        • 1. RE: Update Task with NO installation of Service Packs and Hofixes
          I solved the problem.

- I created a new FTP repository, which hosts only DAT and Engine files.
          - I created a new Agent policy, which uses only the new FTP repository (and the McAfee Http fallback).
          - I modified the standard Agent policy, to use not the FTP repository.
          • 2. RE: Update Task with NO installation of Service Packs and Hofixes
            I am sure other will correct me if i am wrong but i believe there is a base line that Mcafee checks when a agent checks in.

For instance when we migrated to EPO 3.5 to EPO 4 we were only at patch 4 for VSE 8.5. When we setup EPO 4, only VSE with patch 5 (not just the patch 5 update, the full package) was available for download from Mcafee and that was what was checked in. As we migrated users to check into the new EPO 4 server they all got upgraded to VSE patch 5.

Does that make sense.

I agree forcing them to check into a repository that only has DAT files will only update the DAT files to the level available in the repository.
            • 3. RE: Update Task with NO installation of Service Packs and Hofixes
              The problem was, that the Update Task always looks for patches available in the repositories.

So you need a repository with only DAT and Engine in it. To tell the desired clients to look into that repository, just assign them a different Agent policy, which has a different repository list activated.

This has nothing to do with the Deployment task.