3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 8:59 AM by Mogsy

Always Some PCs that DATs don't update - Constant Annoyance factor!

Hi there (Please read this excessively long rant and help if you can, please!)

I am running EPO 4 with the 3.6 agent and a combination of VS 8 and 8.5.

I find that constantly there are ALWAYS some PCs that don't update the DAT files.
      Its not the same PCs all the time but quite random.
      The effected PCs will be updating fine for weeks, months or even years, but at any time PCs will stop updating DATs.

I am finding this happens often with EPO...and would like to stop this constant annoyance.
      From 1200 systems there are always at least 750 of them on-line.
      At any one time there is always at least a few PCs that don't update the DATs.
      The effected PCs are quite random, though often with the same DAT version.

Today is a very good example of this, today I have 12 PCs (previously that had been updating ok)
      These 11 PCs are stuck on dat 5346, when they should be on 5347 now. (There is also a PC on the 5340 Dat)
      The other approx 730 systems that came on line today (sunday) all updated fine.

All systems have the same policies and tasks assigned to them etc and none of these PCs had previously been problem ones.
      From the EPO side everything is the same, and these PCs had been updating fine until yesterday and have never shown any problems before.
      But suddenly these 11 stop updating the DAT once they got to the 5346 Dat.
      I am not sure if the DAT version is related, but often I have noticed that when it happens that PCs have the same DAT that they won't update from. This could be just by chance or not, I have no idea, as obviously the DAT works ok on all the other PCs.

For todays problem PCs, mainly when I check the agent log on these PCs it will show something like.

Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Scheduler: Invoking task [DAT Update - Morning]...
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Script The update task will be re-tried in 3 minutes because update is in progress.
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Next time of task DAT Update - Morning is : Never
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Scheduler: Invoking task [DAT Update - Morning]...
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Script The update task will be re-tried in 3 minutes because update is in progress.
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Next time of task DAT Update - Morning is : Never
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Next time(local) of task DAT Update - Morning: Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:57:00 PM
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:00 PM Info Scheduler Added a new task DAT Update - Morning to Scheduler's task list
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:01 PM Info Scheduler Next time(local) of task DAT Update - Morning: Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:57:00 PM
      Sunday, 27 July 2008 1:54:01 PM Info Scheduler Added a new task DAT Update - Morning to Scheduler's task list

It then loops round saying The update task will be re-tried in 3 minutes because update is in progress.
      Sometimes is loop saying the deployment task is the one that is in progress.

The other error is that somtimes it simply says that the update to version xxxx has failed.

As these PCs that do this are ones that have been updating fine for months and then suddenly they all get stuck.

I am really looking for some discussion and help on what would cause this?

As they are now in this loop you can't actually do anything to control them.
      You can't remove or re-install the software or actually do anything.
      Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Also I was wonder Is there a thread on here somewhere with a list of common problems with DATs not updating?

I have no problems with Patch or Engine versions.
      Patch 16 for the VSE 8 and patch 6 for the VSE8.5 and 5200 engine.
      I can get the patch and engine levels to 100% with no problem PCs.

But CONSTANTLY and randomly there are PCS that don't update the DATS.

What is the general opinion or findings on this type of thing?

Would enjoy some conversation/discussion on this.

I am thinking that the most basic thing EPO should do is update DAT files and this is the main problem I am having with EPO. In fact its the only real issue with EPO that I spend any time on these days.

I call McAfee support but they always seem to fob me off and the process of getting any real help is just too time consuming to get through all the various layers.

I am a gold support customer.

Please can somebody chip in with some advice :)

You CAN always fix the PCs if you manually remote to them etc and re-install things manually etc.
      But to have to do this is just ridiculous it defeats the purpose of the product.

I have found only 1 soloution to fix them remotely (which I think it a very bad one)

If you CAN control the PC (if its not in some update loop) I find that if you simply un-install and re-install the AV from EPO console (when you can) that will usually solve the issue of updating.
      The problem with that one is that OFTEN even though the PC is under control once you uninstall the software it doesn't let you re-install it....or it does re-install it, but doesn't report the engine version correctly after the software is uninstalled and re-installed.
      You can always fix the PCs if you remote to it and fiddle around etc, but its VERY time consuming, and kind of defeats the most basic purpose of the whole product, automatically updating the dat files every day.

On a side note, I have found sometimes (just when i mess around for testing) that even on a brand new PC with a fresh install of EPO and AV that IS WORKING 100% well and has no problems at all that even if I uninstall and re-install the AV from EPO a few times on a system in pristine and perfect condition, that some problem will occur if you uninstall and re-install the software a few times.
      That is just stupid.

This is really annoying, as the most basic thing EPO should do is update the DAT files, and I feel fobbed off by McAfee in terms of helping.

They say "just reboot the PC, if that doesn't work re-install the AV software and/or the Agent"
      Yea great.....but WHY does this problem keep happening over multiple generations of your product across many different agent versions and different versions of the virus scanner and on some systems that are brand new, and on the old EPO server and are freshly setup new EPO server running EPO 4, and is there any REAL soloution to fix it?

Over the last couple of years I HAVE logged many calls for the same issues.
      If I have say 15 PCs that get stuck on the same DAT version I will call them, but never get any proper help.

If you are not running the latest version of everything they always say update everything, then even when you do have an environment in which there is 100% compliance with the latest version of everything, and are still getting the same issue, they still
      just say to re-instal everything on each of the effected PCs!!!

Its been an issue for me since EPO3.6.0 most of the PCs since that time have all been replaced etc.
      So we are talking about new PCs a new server etc, so everything is constantly updating in the environment
      but no matter what, there ALWAYS pcs that don't update the DAT file.

There is no chance of my company moving away from McAfee, and I don't know if any other products would in any case be any better, so actually do really want a soloution to make McAfee do what it says it should on the tin.

Like I say, Patch versions and engine versions I can get to be 100% across the board, but only very occasionally does this happen for DATS.

Please help its doing my head in.
        • 1. RE: Always Some PCs that DATs don't update - Constant Annoyance factor!
          With 12,500 systems in my System Tree, I still see this from time to time - but it's a lot better than it used to be after many months of working to reduce the occurences of these... If only I could get my users to connect regularly :)

A few tips below - and please excuse if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but all I've got to go on is your post...

The first thing to realise is that you will NEVER have 100% problem free operation ALL of the time. you can only help to reduce it to manageable numbers. Such is life, because nothing is perfect.

However, in your case, there is either one thing causing your problem, or a number of things. All you can do is discover them one by one and deal with them.

First off - is there ANYTHING common between the systems that have a problem, or at least some of them if not all?

For example - are they running short of disk space? It's horrifying to think now that I can see problems with a DAT update if there is less than 70MB (or so) disk space free. Many times I've scratched my head - then seen the disk space is getting below 100MB and when i clear out the rubbish everything works ok again...

Do you allow your users to get updates directly from McAfee as well as ePO? (Repository list). I've seen issues for our mobile users who work from home, an update kicks in, they can't see the ePO server so it falls through to McAfee site - and then the user disconnects / switches off during the update! It seems to get stuck in waiting for THAT update to complete.

Are all the services on the clients running ok - particularly the Framework service? As a simpler solution to reinstalling the whole thing, I would suggest you restart the framework service to clear the 'update will retry in 3 minutes' message.

Did the last update complete successfully? perhaps it seems to have done, but actually it has not properly re-started mcshield, and therefore the NEXT update has a problem restarting that to update...

Just a few ideas that might help put you on the right track that helped me - but really you've just got to work through each machine and see what's common. Once you know what's causing it, you can do something about it.

And remember - somethimes the McAfee software simply just fails - as nothing is perfect. However, usually there is something else going on that it doesn't like...

Good Luck.

Bob
          • 2. RE: Always Some PCs that DATs don't update - Constant Annoyance factor!
            Travler
            I'm fighting the same issue here:
            http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?p=539682#post539682

@Bob Thanks for the tips! While it seems a bit unlikely that so many machines might all have those sort of problems, stranger things have happened.
            • 3. RE: Always Some PCs that DATs don't update - Constant Annoyance factor!
              could be a number of things, from agent issues, to the Framework manifest XML bug, or as some have said, lack of diskspace.

sometimes when i have a machine like this, i usually run the SDAT as /F option in a command prompt to force the update and then reboot. though for the number of systems you have, walking around to the ones requiring fixing, might not be a good idea or possible.