1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 1:08 AM by Troja

Recommended DB size for TIE server

Prasanth Pavan

Hello,

What is the recommended DB size for TIE. As per the installation docs it shows as below:

Your Virtual Machine (VM) must meet the following requirements.
      • One CPU with 8 cores.
      • 16 GB of RAM (minimum 4 GB).
      • 120-GB disk (thick provisioning).

In case we are planning for enterprise networks, can we use the same size or do we need to increase. If we need to increase, what are the points we need to consider while sizing the DB. Please help.

Regards,

PRASANTH.

• 1. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
          Troja

Hi prasanthpavan,

the default Value for the DB Size is 20GB configured in the tie.properties file. If the DB size reaches that size a maintenance job is automatically started on TIE to clean up the database. This means old entries of the database are removed.

There is a dashboard (TIE Server Data cleanup) available in EPO where you can see if any cleanup task was necessary. Click the details to see the current size of the database and the configured Threshold.

Finally this means, your TIE database will not fill the Disk system.

Take a look at KB87077 to change the values as needed.

Regards,

Thorsten

• 2. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
            bretzeli

Hello,

Was wondering what the Dashboard function was regarding to deleted Files in TIE....

The information and time (Week/Months) we spent on TIE project are also a reason for us to ask such questions.

Clear we have the TIE Server as VM and we have Netapp Snapshots of the machines. We also do use VEEAM to replicate and backup it. But we currently save the EPO Server 5 times more or lets say

also in other ways. We have the "EPO-Snpashots there" and we also do daily SQL Dumps so we don't loose a single bit.

* Are there any best practice for Disaster Recovery of the TIE-Server appliance itself?

* This should be written for TUX-Dummys like me so we Windows prople can follow too

* Is there anything we should pull with SSH from the Servers regarding backup?

Can you please Link the KB87077 in the Post (At least in Google nothing found...)

Thanks

• 3. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
              Prasanth Pavan

Hi Troja ,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't find the KB article. Could you please link the KB.

• 4. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                Troja

Hi prasanthpavan,

here the direct link : McAfee KnowledgeBase - KB87077

Just for info, not any KB you can find directly in google. Just visit support.mcafee.com and search for the KB. :-)

Cheers

• 5. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                  Troja

Hi bretzeli,

for backup we are using vmware backup (snapshot). We do not backup any files from the TIE server. This would be possible.....

For redundancy we are installing at least a TIE Master, TIE Slave and a DXL Broker Appliance.

If there is any problem e.g. TIE Master fails, we are just changing the TIE Slave server to a TIE Master server.

With TIE Master/Slave you have always two systems where a copy of the database is located. Let´s see if there are any improvements with the new versions like DB backup.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                    Prasanth Pavan

Hi Troja ,

Thanks for sharing the KB article.

I understood changing the DB size for TIE sever in the  tie.properties fie, in case of enterprise networks the local reputations may be more and we may need more space. So, in case if i want to size the DB size for that:

• What could be the recommended size?
                    • Do i need to size both of my Master & Slave TIE servers with the same size?
                    • Do i need to specify the DB by increasing the disk size while installing the TIE server in EXSI?
                    • Is there any consideration for sizing the enterprise network?

Kindly clarify and do the needful.

Regards,

PRASANTH.

• 7. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                      secpro m

Hi Prasanth,

• Do i need to size both of my Master & Slave TIE servers with the same size?

Implementing master and slave is for redundancy purpose. You should use same capacity to have similar functionality when Master is unavailable.

• Do i need to specify the DB by increasing the disk size while installing the TIE server in EXSI?

Please use OVA , the OVA template designed 8vcpu, 16GB Memory & 115 GB disk space.

• Is there any consideration for sizing the enterprise network?

Please refer Module 7 in TIE Sizing and Performance Guide

Regards,

Manjunath

• 8. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                        Prasanth Pavan

Hi mpasupuleti2003 ,

Thanks for your reply!!

I understood from the sizing guide based on the environment we have to plan the sizing. If i want to have a more memory for my TIE DB, do i need to modify the size during the TIE instillation that which we do OVF template by increasing the size from 115GB to required size?

Regards,

PRASANTH.

• 9. Re: Recommended DB size for TIE server
                          secpro m

Hi Prasanth

cannot change specs if you build linux VM appliance using OVA template. ( before & after vm creation).

Regards,

Manjunath

1 2 Previous Next