1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 7:14 AM by andrehh

Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment

andrehh

Hello,

we want to deploy McAfee Endpoint Security, Threat Prevention and Web Control on 200 notebooks.

We have an epo Server, but we want to build one pakage so the people can download the pakage from a ftp server (usb drive) or whatever, just double click the pakage and then the client installs itselfs with all policys and connection settings to the epo server.

Is this possible?

I only found the pakage builder for the agent.

Hope you understand me.

I dont want that my 200 notebooks download 250mb each from the epo server. And the notebooks dont have always a connection to the server via vpn.

Thanks in advanced

• 1. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
          DocB

andrehh,

I use MID to build a package, then use 7-zip and SFX Maker to create a "one-click" executable for VSE 88.  You could do something similar for SA 35, FW and the Agent.  All the packages are extracted to the correct location and executed locally from there, and the original package is deleted.  Don't know what you would do for an ENS deployment.

HTH,

DocB

• 2. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
            DavHio

1.) Do all those users have local admin right so that they can install the agent?

2.) Does it have to be an external (on Internet) download source/server?

3.) Can it be a download source/server on the corp network?

• 3. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
              andrehh

Hello DavHio

1. Yes, they all have local admin rights to install the agent

2. would be nice, so they dont need to download it through our company connection (50mb/s for all clients together).

3. Well, this it not that good with our connection. It would be better for us to upload it on our external hosted FTP Server

• 4. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                DavHio

Well, the package is around 6-7mb so its a very small package to download, even on a poor bandwith net

For security reasons I would suggest to make it a corp network download and that will also be much easier to do.

Here is how:

1.) Go to the system tree and the desired group
                2.) Click on "New System"
                3.) Select "Create and download agent installation package" and click "OK"
                4.) Right click the "Agent Package" link and click "Copy shortcut"
                5.) Sent the URL link to the users by mail

When the user enters the link or click it, they get the option to run or save it.

If you want to make it out of on a external repository/ftp or HTTP, you can just upload the file to where you want to store it.

• 5. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                  andrehh

Hello again,

maybe i didnt understand it right.

I thought if i deploy the agent package, then the client will connect to my internal server and then download the client software from the server (Endpoint Security, Threat Prevention and Web Control).

So they each would download ~250mb from the internal server.

Is this wrong?

• 6. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                    andrep1

so you have to generate the framepgk.exe as explained above, it is install specific. it is what allows your clients to connect back to be managed. It is the first thing to install.

If all devices are "stand alones", then yes download mcafee ENS and package it for them to install.. The agent will go to epo to grab the policies and tasks.

The agents now support peer to peer, so if you have sites wth multiple devices you can use peer to peer for file distribution.

If you have sites with servers, you can make those servers repositories to distribute the files

• 7. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                      DavHio

Yes, it is right as Andre explained.

When you export the Framepgk from your ePO, that package will contain all the neccessary settings for your clients to connect to your ePO server.

Ýour original question was how to manually deploy the agent. When the agent is installed, the client have to be connected to the corp network to be able to get the rest of the products deployed to it.

The rest of the products eg. VirusScan HIPS, etc has there own package sizes ofc.

/Dave

• 8. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                        it1024

Hi andrehh

What I understand from your sentence saying: "I only found the pakage builder for the agent." is that you want a package to deploy McAfee Endpoint Security, Threat Prevention and Web Control. Am I right? If yes, as far as I know the products need to be deployed from ePO server. As DavHio explains the clients connection to ePO is necessary.

About your sentence saying: "I dont want that my 200 notebooks download 250mb each from the epo server.", whether a package or a deployment, in both ways the client has to download some amount. And about "And the notebooks dont have always a connection to the server via vpn.", you should not worry, you just need to build the necessary Client Tasks on ePO and clients receive the products in their first connection, that is the beauty of ePO.

• 9. Re: Client Rollout with a build pakage and without epo deployment
                          andrep1

The ENS manual or ePO install is all documented in the ENS install guide. It is definitely a product you can package to include in an image or as a distribution for manual install.

if the device is managed by ePO, the products will be configured by ePO. As it1024 says, " that is the beauty of ePO."

1 2 Previous Next