2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 10:41 AM by amin.

Measure Performance Increase (High/Low Risk Profiles)

amin.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and part of the new admins who got dropped into managing EPO/VSE with no background on it.

I've done a fair bit of learning and have gotten decent understanding of how things click together.

Our current environment uses the default on-access scanning profile and our machines run simulations, develop, build and test software, so performance is a big factor in the daily work life.

I am building a new EPO server (5.3.2 156) with ENS 10.2 to test the possibility of migrating to the newer product.

I've come to learn the importance of using high/low risk profiles and the performance impact it can have if the exclusions are set correctly.

I have heard possibilities of getting a performance increase up to 30% if used properly.

My question is, how do you measure the performance increase?

I'd like to be able to tell whether machine performance was impacted and to have something to show for it.

I would also like the measurement to be well rounded versus running 1 file/software and saying "it opens faster now".

Looking forward to learning more from the community.

Cheers,

Amin

• 1. Re: Measure Performance Increase (High/Low Risk Profiles)
          ja2013

Great question! One of the tools that you can see the difference is called the McAfee Profiler. The tool is used on a system where performance is questioned. Usually someone is pointing their finger at McAfee being the cause. Execute the 'McAfee Profiler" and let it run for a period of time. That 'period of time' might be when you are, lets say, doing a backup. Measure a five or even 10 minute period to get a rough window of performance drain caused by the process that should otherwise be excluded. Do this before and after the exclusion is entered. The performance hog of the application\process\associated files will be seen before but shouldn't be seen after. You will now be left with an actual metric for a before and then after scenario. The McAfee Profiler will measure anything that is running during the capture period. Give it a run and let us know what you see.

Here is a link to get you going: McAfee KnowledgeBase - FAQs for McAfee Profiler

Jay

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Measure Performance Increase (High/Low Risk Profiles)
            amin.

Thank you very much Jay. I will definitely be playing with the profiler more to get better understanding on setting up the scanning profiles.