8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 8:01 AM by brentil

NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition

brentil

McAfee covered the topic well for VSE 8.8 & HIPS 8 but I was unable to find the same answer for NES 10.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Incompatability between VirusScan Enterprise, Host Intrusion Prevention, and Windows 10 Anniversa…

Will NES10.1 natively support Windows 10 Anniversary Edition or do we have to wait for a patch for it as well?

The type of environment we have we have users that have business need to be on the newest version of Windows when it releases and these past cycles of it taking months for support to arrive after a version of Windows drops is both frustrating and slows down our business capability while using McAfee products.  Especially when users of home McAfee products know they can run the new versions on those computers at home but then come to work and we have to tell them products from the same company do not support the same OS at work.

• 1. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
          pcfarrar

Presumably Endpoint 10.1 is unaffected as I don't think it uses SysCore 15.4.

But I agree this is very poor for Virusscan 8.8. My company has a lot of Windows 10 machines with 8.8 installed. McAfee have had months to prepare for Windows 10 Anniversary so patch 8 should have been released weeks ago!

• 2. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
            brentil

pcfarrar wrote:

Presumably Endpoint 10.1 is unaffected as I don't think it uses SysCore 15.4.

But I agree this is very poor for Virusscan 8.8. My company has a lot of Windows 10 machines with 8.8 installed. McAfee have had months to prepare for Windows 10 Anniversary so patch 8 should have been released weeks ago!

While it doesn't use SysCore there is very likely some other root technology that interacts with the OS that may need to be updated.

Honestly it has gotten better at least.  When Windows 8 and then 8.1 came out we waited for 10 months between versions before VSE/HIPS officially supported it.  Talk about having irate users...

• 3. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
              pcfarrar

As soon as Win10 Anniversary Edition is out tomorrow I will install it on a few 8.8 and Endpoint 10.1 machines and see what happens.

• 4. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
                pcfarrar

I've got a machine running Windows 10 Anniversary and Endpoint 10.1 seems to be fine so far.

• 5. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
                  brentil

McAfee has updated the original document I linked previously to instead of being VSE/HIPS only to include all applications.  Which lists NES 10.1 Patch 2 or NES 10.2 as supporting the new 1607 release however that product is not out yet.  Hopefully they will update it to include the release dates of ENS & MA product updates.

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Incompatibility between the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and multiple McAfee products

Compatible versions and projected release dates:

• DLPe 10.0.1, 9.4.220, 9.3.630
                  • ENS 10.1 Patch 2, 10.2
                  • Host IPS 8.0 Patch 8 - expected to release in late August 2016
                  • If using MA 4.x: MA 4.8 build 1938 and higher
                  • If using MA 5.x: MA 5.0.4
                  • McAfee Client Proxy (MCP) - 2.1.0.117
                  • VSE 8.8 Patch 8 - expected to release in late August 2016
                  • 6. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
                    pcfarrar

I've also got a test machine running Virusscan 8.8 patch 7 with Windows 10 Anniversary edition and no problems so far.....

• 7. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
                      brentil

pcfarrar wrote:

I've also got a test machine running Virusscan 8.8 patch 7 with Windows 10 Anniversary edition and no problems so far.....

When we had risked running outside of supported versions in the past we noticed the majority of machines worked but certain ones would BSOD.  We don't risk it anymore but we also need to move quickly to the new versions.

• 8. Re: NES10 and Win10 Anniversary Edition
                        brentil

Looks like my wish was granted about additional release dates. 

Product VersionRTS DateGA Date
                        Application and Change Control7.0.1n/aJuly 25, 2016
                        Data Loss Prevention Endpoint (DLP Endpoint)Pending Update
                        Endpoint Security (ENS)10.1 Patch 2August 2, 2016August 29, 2016
                        10.2 (On-Prem)n/aAugust 8, 2016
                        10.2 (ePO Cloud)n/aAugust 11, 2016
                        Host Intrusion Prevention (Host IPS)8.0 Patch 8July 29, 2016August 25, 2016
                        McAfee Agent (MA)5.0.4August 4, 2016Pending Update
                        4.8.0 Patch 3n/aMarch 18, 2015
                        McAfee Client Proxy (MCP)2.1.0.117Pending UpdatePending Update
                        Management for Optimized Virtual Environment (MOVE) Multi-platform4.0n/aJuly 28, 2016
                        Threat Intelligence Exchange (TIE) Module for VSE1.0.1n/aAugust 24, 2016
                        VirusScan Enterprise (VSE)8.8 Patch 8August 2, 2016August 24, 2016