6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 5:12 PM by reichmaj

VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)

reichmaj

Community

I have an older model Lenovo T400 on which I have installed Virus Enterprise and AntiSpyWare Enterprise 8.8 (Scan Engine 5800.750.1), updated 28 July 2016.   Recently I've notice the software continue to utilize ~30 - 40 % of my CPU power and like to day I let it run all day to see if it reduced usage it didn't averaging about 39 percent.  It's run a full scan, is updated what might I check to reduce CPU usage.

Jeff

• 1. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
          exbrit

Moved to Business > VSE for better support.

---

Peter

• 2. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
            reichmaj

Not quite the answer I was hoping for.  Given its an older computer that we use as a backup and not that often I'll just remove the MacAfee and install Microsoft Security.  McAfee is working fine on our newer (every day use) computers.

• 3. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
              catdaddy

reichmaj,

If I may, are you using the Corporate Software,or the Consumer Software? As you mentioned Virus Scan Enterprise?

• 4. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
                exbrit

reichmaj wrote:

Not quite the answer I was hoping for.  Given its an older computer that we use as a backup and not that often I'll just remove the MacAfee and install Microsoft Security.  McAfee is working fine on our newer (every day use) computers.

That wasn't meant to be an answer - I moved your post out of Community Help where nobody would know any answers, to VirusScan Enterprise where people will have answers.

• 5. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
                  taziegma

reichmaj,

Ex_Brit and catdaddy are forum moderators. They moved your thread as you are using VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.

To answer your question, there are a number of reasons why CPU usage could be high.

1. If you're running a version of VSE 8.8 prior to patch 5, there are underlying architectural differences that were made in the product around thread count and process control. Please see https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85299&snspd-0815  for additional detail.

2. If you have lots of ZIP / archive files on your system and are scanning those in an On-Demand Scan, that can cause additional CPU usage as the scanner has to unpack the archive and scan it. We recommend not scanning archive files in an On-Demand Scan, and allow the On-Access Scanner to scan the files as the ZIP file is extracted upon use.

3. Another application on the system could be doing something and the On-Access Scanner is seeing this and is scanning the files that the other application is using. You can download McAfee Profiler from McAfee KnowledgeBase - FAQs for McAfee Profiler  and it will provide a graphic showing the top files the scanner is targeting and you can make the decision whether or not to accept the risk of excluding them in scans, or working with that application's vendor to troubleshoot why it is conflicting.

If you're still having issues, I would suggest contacting support and they can assist with recommendations to improve performance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: VirusScan Enterprise 8,8 using to much CPU (~ 30%)
                    reichmaj

At this point it's not that big of a deal. I've replaced it.  Thank you all for the comments. Patch 7 I think.  Only thing that was on the computer was Windows 7 I had restore the hard drive to factory setting to fix another issue.  After reinstalling all the windows updates  I installed MacAfee next.. But as I previously stated I simply[e replaced it.  I'm not in the mode to deal with it on that particular computer. thanks all