7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 12:47 AM by Peacekeeper

Trust a program

jeancarlo_ms

I know that question as like a common trouble for users. I tried to trust a program but my antivirus (Total Protection) always put in quarantine it without ask me even I say to exclude my program or directory of real-time scan (he let me open program but after 20 min he put in quarantine again).

In custom scan when I say to exclude files and directories he don't check them but put in quarantine if I open him

Anyone can help me how can execute my program without disable Total Protection?

• 1. Re: Trust a program
          exbrit

You'd have to disable antivirus, but I would be very leery of anything that has already been quarantined.

Trusting is only for PUP's - possibly unwanted programs, not anything behaving like malware.

See this for hints and a link for the software maker to use: What To Do When McAfee Detects Software As An Infection - How to Submit To McAfee Labs & Appeal

• 2. Re: Trust a program
            jeancarlo_ms

really?

We pay to use it but when he detects a trust program for user we can disable antivirus? without option to exclude a specify program unprotecting the entire system

McAfee lost a customer now

• 3. Re: Trust a program
              Peacekeeper

What Peter is saying is if you want to use the program you have to turn of the real time scanning which is not a good idea as the program could be virused,

In real time scanning you can exclude a file but it scans the file when you ask to exclude it. So if it is being detected well it will be so always and not added to the excluded list. At least that was how it was explained to us when we asked.

The best way is to submit the file as Peter suggested in that link and get it white-listed that will fix this up . Takes 2-3 days usually and if not done so by then we mods have a path to get it done immediately.

What is it being detected as?

• 4. Re: Trust a program
                exbrit

Jean Carlo wrote:

really?

We pay to use it but when he detects a trust program for user we can disable antivirus? without option to exclude a specify program unprotecting the entire system

McAfee lost a customer now

All antivirus software of any make or brand will occasionally misdiagnose a file as dangerous when it may be not.

By the same token, sometimes software makers err in their software design and cause it themselves.

In my mind security software should err on the side of caution, otherwise who knows what would happen?

This isn't really Intel/McAfee's fault, the software designer obviously didn't test the software thoroughly before releasing it.

He/she has to fill this form in and submit it for clearance:  Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs

It can all be cleared up easily, as explained.

• 5. Re: Trust a program
                  jeancarlo_ms

can't send to virus_research@mcafee.com I think attach is too big to sent.. The second link needs a company to sent a detection?

• 6. Re: Trust a program
                    exbrit

Did you try the GetSusp option?

1st disable real-time scanning so that the software will allow you to install the 3rd party software.

Then make sure you enter your email address into GetSusp's Preferences so that the labs can get back to you.

That 2nd link you talk about is for whomever desigfned the software to use.

• 7. Re: Trust a program
                      Peacekeeper

If both links say file  is too big can you put it in a dropbox and when ready post link here. we will email a tech with the link and remove the link from the post. I think 10Mb limit for the file

Alternatively post a link to the file if it is on the net and I will put it in my dropbox and send it off.