5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 8:33 AM by Regis

Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?

kbolt

Is there any way to enable the proxy for web gateway while user is on the corporate LAN but let it be disabled when they're off our LAN, i.e. in the case of a laptop user?

• 1. Re: Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?
          Jon Scholten

I'm assuming you're referring to an MCP deployment?

If MCP cannot reach the proxy it should stand down. So I would advise using a DNS name which is only resolvable in network.

If you're using a PAC file, if the browser can't reach the PAC file it will go straight out instead of trying to use the proxy.

Best Regards,

Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?
            Regis

We handle this with IBM Access Connections software and different network profiles. 

Would this be a use case for the client proxy software?  We don't have any experience with it, but am curious about its capabilities.

For some reason, I don't believe we were successful letting things operate as Jon described, but I don't recall the details, or whether there was another use case involved somehow.

• 3. Re: Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?
              Regis

kbolt wrote:

Is there any way to enable the proxy for web gateway while user is on the corporate LAN but let it be disabled when they're off our LAN, i.e. in the case of a laptop user?

Jon endearingly assumes we're all way more clueful than we are sometimes (likely because I think he's forgotten more about web gateway than most of us will ever know).    

McAfee Client Proxy (MCP)  I've learned in the past month or so  is a piece of software that solves this problem kbolt.      It's also the go-to for doing a hybrid on-premises web gateway/ web saas  cloud web gateway deployment for your laptops.   I'm told it can also be handy to work around broken client software that doesn't appropriately honor proxy settings from the OS.   Deploying MCP is on my extensive to do list.

"Where it's obtained:

What to do with it (you'll find a familiar name from this thread as author on this):

Best Practices: Setting up McAfee Client Proxy with Web Gateway

• 4. Re: Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?
                Jon Scholten

Hey Regis!

MCP is also now available directly from the ePO software catalog (assuming your licensed for it -- most folks are when they have Web or endpoint licenses).

This makes it easier to checkin MCP into ePO so you dont need to download all the files from the MFE download page:

You can download line item listed as Other, this contains the ePO server extension to be installed in the extension manager.

Right now the client installer packages are directly updatable from ePO software manager, but the extension isnt. I pinged development to see if the extension can be made directly updatable, no promises on a timeline.

Best Regards,
                Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Enable Proxy When Users Are On Corporate LAN?
                  Regis

Rockin.   Thanks sir!