1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 2:53 AM by HMarte

Protection Pilot with Netware Server

hi,

did anybody know, how to do, to manage netware server with the protection pilot?

i have protection pilot running ( not installed by myself ) konsole version 1.5.0.121
      there are a lot of windows servers and a lot of windows workstations.

i can see the following tree

mcafee protection pilot
      server ( Servername )
      all computers
      domain workstation
      domain server
      doamin test
      domain lost and found

where can i configure and administer the netware server

the netware server have netware 6.5.6 ( OES ) with netshield 4.63e installed.

i want to configure the netware by the protection pilot konsole, can anybody give me some hints? ;:-)

HMarte
        • 1. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
          hello,

did anybody works with NETWARE Server and netshield ???

HMarte
          • 2. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
            tonyb99
            Please download the documentation and read it.

PP 1.5 product guide:
            https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&exte rnalId=PRP-15-prpproductguideenpdf6&sliceId=&dialogID=31796493&stateId=1%200%203 1794264

Relevant section:

[FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2][LEFT]The management of NetShield for NetWare differs from that of other supported
            McAfee products. Use the steps that follow to manage NetShield for NetWare.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]1 Installing the agent for NetWare [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— You must install the agent for NetWare
            manually. This is required to put computers running NetShield for NetWare
            under management. For a list of the agent for NetWare requirements, see[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][LEFT]System Requirements [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]in the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2]ProtectionPilot Release Notes [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2](ReadMe.txt). For
            instructions on installing the agent for NetWare, see the NetShield for
            NetWare product documentation.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]2 Changing agent for NetWare settings [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— You can change the policy settings for the
            agent for NetWare using the ProtectionPilot console. For instructions, see[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][LEFT]Changing agent for NetWare policy settings [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]in the Help file.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]3 Installing NetShield for NetWare [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— Installing NetShield for NetWare is a manual
            process. For a list of the NetShield for NetWare server requirements and
            NetWare administrator computer requirements, see the NetShield for
            NetWare product documentation. For instructions on installing NetShield for
            NetWare, see the NetShield for NetWare product documentation.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]4 Changing NetShield for NetWare settings [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— You can change the policy settings
            for NetShield for NetWare using the ProtectionPilot console. For instructions,
            see
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][COLO R=#0000ff]Changing managed product policy settings [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR= #0000ff]on page 71[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]. For information about
            each option, see the NetShield for NetWare product documentation.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]5 Upgrading NetShield for NetWare [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— Upgrading the software with service pack
            and patch releases is a manual process. For instructions, see the NetShield for
            NetWare product documentation.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]6 Updating NetShield for NetWare [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— You can update the NetShield for NetWare
            software by scheduling the appropriate client tasks. For instructions, see[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][LEFT]Performing scheduled DAT updates (NetShield for NetWare) [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]and [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2]Performing
            scheduled engine updates (NetShield for NetWare)
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]in the Help file.[/LEFT]
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR=#9b0040][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=1][COLOR= #9b0040][LEFT]7 Scanning NetShield for NetWare computers for possible infections [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2]— You can scan
            computers running the NetShield for NetWare software for possible infections
            by scheduling the appropriate client tasks. For instructions, see
            [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Palatino-Italic][SIZE=2][COLO R=#0000ff]Performing[/LEFT]
            scheduled scans
            [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR= #0000ff]on page 76[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino-Roman][SIZE=2].
            [/SIZE][/FONT]
            • 3. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
              hmmm.

after installing NAP for ePO and NSHNW on the protection pilot, found in the deep of the manual....... its not possible to bring out the new configuration to the netware server. the protection pilot shows me the configuration of the epo agent and the netware server, .....

btw, if i trie to configure the netshield on the netware server i use the netshield console for netware. there configuration utility wants to have a password, for the access.

so i wonder, why the protection pilot didnt want to have a password from me now. is that the problem why the netshield server didnt become the new config by the protection pilot?

HMarte
              • 4. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
                hello,

back again

i have installed the netshield 463e and the epo 211 again on the netware server.

the communication looks fine, logging is possible no errors displayed!

the logger screen displays me action from the protection pilot server, and display he wants to undate DAT files, schedule new scan etc...

i have created a new task in the protection pilot too, this task, and all the other configured task didnt displayed in the netshiel screen on the netware server.

look like the configuration from the protection pilot goes to the epo client on the netware server, he updated the netshiel.reg file but i didnt see tasks in the netshield monitor on the server that i have new created.

didnt the epo client work correctly, is there anything else to configure,
                has anybody a working solution of that costillation with protection pilot, epo agent , netshield running elsewhere?

HMarte
                • 5. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
                  nobody interested in such a wunderfull constillation of netware and protection pilot at windows? schould it make me sad? i think, here must be somebody, who works with the same software, but didnt answer , because its a shamed. no, lets work together.

i have updated the netshield to version 4.63 G ( really version G !) and the ePo Agent to version

2.1.1.117 B really,..... but i have the same problems still.

the epo didnt update the netshield, and another problem i think.
                  how could i tell the protection pilot, to distribute the dat files from the netware servers, i other words, how could i make the lokal antivierus make downloading the DAT files from netware, so that the protektion pilot distribute it to the netware servers?

yes, and now, you are allowed to answer

HMarte
                  • 6. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
                    i am monologize myself , and go on for those who are interested in that thread :mad:

i have updated the netshield to version G (4.63g) and the epo agent to 2.1.1.117 B on the netware server.

so i have still checked in the NAP files for administration.

i have created a new container for the netware servers, and disabled the inherited policys.

i have create some new policys, and now, the support told me, there are some tasks, that are not visible in the console screen on the netware server, and the flag in the browser for configuration is not settible for displaying this management task. other in the windows configuration, herer you could say the flag is on for displaying the managemtn task in the console for windows systems, but not for netware...

and now i have configured the netshield for download the DAT files from ePo, because, the files are the same from windows! the protection pilot already download the files, so i connected the windows FTP server to that folder and the netware netshield downloaded the DAT-zip! :D

at the moment there are some little stumbling block around here in the way of configuring, but i a still searching ...

update comes next week.

HMarte
                    • 7. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
                      now the first server is running with the configuration above.

the DAT update works fine.

weekly management task works fine too. checked it in the activity.txt file from netshield, here are the logs of the scan, NOT on the Netshield Console Screen on the netware server

there is at the moment now possibility to make a management task visible( hotline call )

in a month i start to update the rest of the netware server to work with the epo-agent .

HMarte

it is not possible to cahnge the priority levels for the system messages via the protection pilot. you must use the netshield console for netware to do so. if you are change the value, via console, the epo didnt write a standard value, so you could use this way via netshield console for netware to change it.
                      • 8. RE: Protection Pilot with Netware Server
                        little update, for those who are interested..... :eek:

configuring the ePo Agent for the netware server in the rotection pilot :

do not change the logfile size from default 100 kb, if you do so the logfile will be truncated to 10KB !!!

the 100 kb MUST BE grayed out, if the value is another like 100 kb , and if you make the check to limit the logfile, without change the limit from 100 kb , the logfile will be truncated to 10 KB too. DO NOT CHANGE THE VALUE, AND DO NOT CHECK THE CHECKBOX FOR LIMIT LOGFILE, use it from default. so the logfile will be grow to 100 kb, like netshield default.

this is happen on policys and on scheduled tasks for use with logging ( REPORTS )

hmarte
                        • 9. Not Alone
                          Just a comment, thanks for thread.

I'm newly responsible for the Netware in our server environment.

Config:
                          ePO 4 Patch 2
                          Netware Servers (6)
                          Windows Servers (1000)

The Netshield is working well on half our environment.
                          I was not able to get the scheduled tasks working from ePO but did them locally (6 machines no big deal)

Problem I've not been able to determine response on.

Can you get the Wake-up function working on NetWare?
                          I have 2 machines that are always behind on reporting.
                          1 2 Previous Next