2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 6:05 AM by Peter M

Warning - This virus protection does NOT work.

jean.s

This is simply a warning to others - Do not depend on McAfee for virus protection.  It does not work and now I am out a computer because of ransomware all the while having McAfee Live Support.  What a Joke!!!!

• 1. Re: Warning - This virus protection does NOT work.
          Peter M

No anti-virus is 100% guaranteed, if you click on a risky link or download something from an unknown source or open spam emails, just for 3 examples, there is no guarantee any product would stop ransomware because it always requires some kind of action on the part of it's potential victim in order to take hold.   It's made worse by the fact that ransomware designers constantly change the malware in order to fool even the best protection.   But ransomware usually needs a trigger of some sort on the part of the victim - a simple mouse click or key stroke is often all that is needed to trigger it.  See some useful advice in the last link below..

Good luck with whatever software you choose in future and please know there are many free ways of obtaining help.  If you ask a company like McAfee, or Avira or Symantec/Norton for help, to mention just 3, whilst normal support is free they are going to charge you for professional virus removal services, which is I assume what you did when you mention Live Support.   However some ransomware is not easily dealt with even by them.   That's where 3rd party tools and communities come into play as mentioned in the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
          Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
          I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
          Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 2. Re: Warning - This virus protection does NOT work.
            Peter M

I am locking this thread as obviously it's going nowhere.

If you ever repost a new discussion may I suggest you couch your words in a manner conducive to friendly assistance from the volunteers here.

Community Terms and Conditions

This isn't support, support is in a link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
            Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
            I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
            Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Contact Support

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools