8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 1:00 PM by Panzer420

ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user

Hello,

I am trying to configure ePO 4 installation with 5 different users. Each of the users is the technician responsible for a group of schools. I don't want them to be bothered with the computers in the other schools not in his group. I have given them each the "Group admin" permission set and given a custom permission allowing their schools, each school being on its own subnet. The problem is, when logged in as one of these users, I can see the reports just fine but when I try to modify client tasks for a system or a group, I get an error message : Unexpected error. I looked inside orion.log and here is the message :

2008-05-13 13:40:54,723 ERROR [http-8443-Processor23] [/core].[core] - "Servlet.service()" pour la servlet core a généré une exception
      com.mcafee.epo.core.EpoPermissionException: The current user 'Tech05' does not have permission to access task types for ProdID=EPOAGENTMETA

Anybody got an idea ?
      Thanks and good day.
        • 1. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
          tonyb99
          Default group admin has not got the rights, have you tried altering the permission set for mcafee agent to allow them to alter this aswell.
          • 2. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
            I have created a new user and a new permission set in order to have a fresh start. I have given every possible right about every option to this permission set which contains my new user. I still got the "unexpected error" in the web interface, and orion.log gives me : The current user 'test' does not have permission to access task types for ProdID=EPOAGENT3000LYNX. Is there some other place I need to go to give permissions? By the way I'm using the French version of ePO if that matters.
            • 3. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
              tonyb99
              you could remove/readd the agent for linux extension
              I'd do readd first as im not sure whether removing it will delete the extension file held here: Program Files\Network Associates\ePO\Extensions
              • 4. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
                I am also having this problem. Here is what is in out orion.log
                2008-05-22 11:05:45,573 ERROR [http-8443-Processor19] [/PolicyMgmt].[PolicyMgmt] - Servlet.service() for servlet PolicyMgmt threw exception
                com.mcafee.epo.core.EpoPermissionException: The current user 'webbg' does not have permission to access task types for ProdID=EPOAGENT3000MACX

Any ideas on resolving this?
                • 5. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
                  Here's a follow-up on my situation :

I have removed and re-added the ePO Agent for Linux extension, and tried to access the client task page again. I got a new error message in orion.log about ePO Agent for Mac... I did the same operation over and over again until I reinstalled all the extensions, as the log would give me a different error each time. I also had to reset the permissions to give access. Then the error message was the same as the beginning, about EPOAGENTMETA. This is the actual "Mcafee Agent" right ? I keep uninstalling / reinstalling / giving full permissions, the same error always comes back.

Also, during my tests I mistakenly removed the "MyAvert Security Threats" extension, and I can't find the ZIP file to reinstall it. Which one would that be ?

Thanks.
                  • 6. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
                    I'm replying to myself here to warn you if you try what I did... When you reinstall an extension, you lose all your strategies !! I have to recover the database from the last backup, I hope there won't be any problems.
                    • 7. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user

This is a know problem with the Patch 1. :(
                      We currently have an opened case at McAfee Support
                      • 8. RE: ePO 4.0 : Deployment permissions for user
                        McAfee Maniac posted an announcement about Patch 2 which will be released next month, it seems to fix the bug :

Issue: When accessing the "Systems/Client Tasks" tab of the ePolicy Orchestrator console, users without Administrator rights receive the error "An unexpected Error has Occurred." (Reference:360915, 400549)
                        Resolution: Users without Administrator rights can now access the "Systems/Client Tasks" tab.