6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 12:01 PM by elanman

Artemis not found after Scanning Container.

elanman

Last night I inadvertantly downloaded an Artemis Trojan inpite of scanning the file with Virus scann (Mcafee Anti virus and anti spyware V18.0 build 18.0.9019 engine 2636)

When I opened the file Mcafee notified me that it had detected unwanted software several times and I confirmed the request to quarantine each time when I performed a full scan with no threats detected, However mt DVD drive had been renamed as the E drive and there was a D drive with 0 bytes of 643 free and several unfamiliar programes appeared ,so being a suspicious so-n-so i restored my system to a earlier configuration and re-insalled Mcafee total protection. A new full scan revealed trojans:-

PUP-RGQV

Artemis!237AAA173D67

Artemis!AB798F6DF51B

Artemis!237AAA173D67

Artemis!AB798F6DF51B

All of which were then quarantined and deleted I then shredded the downloaded file.

Am I expecting to much of Mcafee?

Does the fact that Mcafee didn't find the trojan before it was reinstalled indicate that Mcafee had been compromised and is this something I need to tell Mcafee about and how?

Are there any other procedures to check a downloaded file for threats?

I kknow these questions may be naive but this is the first occasion that Mcafee has really failed me in 10 years.

elanman