4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2016 3:59 AM by Peacekeeper

Crash on full scan

sheth

Anytime mcafee runs a full scan on my computer, it fails to complete, crashing with the same error each week.
      KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, 0x0000007a
      caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe, address +5a140
      P1 00000000`00000004

P2 00000000`00000000
      P3 fffffa80`0fa64e80
      P4 fffff8a0`014de4fe

This same error repeats each week during the scheduled scan, and the information is the same each time. 
      I have a toshiba laptop running windows 8, x64, i5-3230M

There are no other antivirus programs on the computer, and MVT mcafee virtual technician detects nothing wrong with the mcafee install.

Any insight into how I should go about fixing this?  I can provide the dump file if need be.

• 1. Re: Crash on full scan
          Peacekeeper

Best to first read

Re: Blue Screen of Death when performing a full scan with build 15.0.294 on windows 7.

• Stop 0x7A can be caused by bad sectors in the virtual memory paging file, disk controller error, virus infection, or memory hardware problems. In extremely rare cases, depleted nonpaged pool resources can cause this error. If the first and third parameters are zero, the stack signature in the kernel stack is missing, an error typically caused by defective hardware. If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check for cabling and termination issues. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A indicates that the requested data could not be found. You can try to correct this by restarting the computer. If a problem with disk integrity exists,You can manually perform the integrity check yourself by following the instructions to run Chkdsk

• Another cause of Stop 0x7A messages is defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Check the hardware manufacturer's Web site for updates to disk adapter firmware or drivers that improve compatibility. Verify that your disks and controller support the same set of advanced features, such as higher transfer rates. If necessary, select a slower transfer rate if an update is not yet available. Consult your hardware or device documentation for more information.

This all described here

Windows XP Blue Screen of Death STOP Codes

If this fails

I would Then consider uninstalling and reinstalling from your account

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

That said if that also fails best you call support and ask them.. If they unsure ask for an escalation call back by a higher level support person.

Tech Support

I do feel it is a drive issue but best to check all options

• 2. Re: Crash on full scan
            sheth

I've ran a chkdsk a few times, which reports no issues found.  No recent hardware changes, either, and I'm inclined to believe it's a network driver issue, but as far as windows and I can tell, I'm using the newest (atheros) driver.  Unfortunately, the post regarding the atheros driver in the linked thread has a dead link, so I'm not sure what might've been said about that to go about fixing it.

• 3. Re: Crash on full scan
              Peter M

BTW I noticed you said you are using Windows 8.   That is no longer supported by Microsoft.   See:  Microsoft Today Ends Support For Windows 8, Old Versions Of Internet Explorer | TechCrunch  Microsoft are encouraging people to upgrade at least to 8.1 (it's free to do so) which is supported.

See Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Windows Help

It might be worth your while to at least consider that.  Although I have no idea if that has anything to do with the above issue, it could well have some connection as the software relies on a totally up-to-date system..

• 4. Re: Crash on full scan
                Peacekeeper

The link is dead but this one explains what I was implying

Black screen at boot up (Known issue)

Maybe try 1 version of the network drivers back or reinstall the current ones after uninstalling them.Then update to 8.1 at least as Peter suggested

Finally reinstall Mcafee followed by calling support please