4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 2:08 PM by tomz2

Licensing usage of VSE on Terminal Servers

alaind

Hi All,

I've a question about licensing for McAfee Enpoint Protection Suite.

License usage for EPS is "Per Node".

But, license usage is confused for me.

I'll explain a scenario :

- We have 2 Windows 2012R2 Terminal Servers on which Virusscan is installed.

- We have 50 Thin Clients (linux clients) connected on those two Terminal Servers (these clients don't have any McAfee software installed)

How many licenses do we need  ?

- only 2 licenses for Terminal Servers that are the sole nodes where Viruscan is installed

- or 52 licenses (2 for servers and 50 for Thin Clients. So one license for each device)

Thanks

AlainD.

• 1. Re: Licensing usage of VSE on Terminal Servers
          alaind

Hi All,

I am surprised that nobody has an opinion about licensing usage on Terminal Server (see my previous post).

AlainD.

• 2. Re: Licensing usage of VSE on Terminal Servers
            tomz2

Alain -

The answer is - it depends. I'm not sure what OS your thin clients run, but there is a VirusScan Enterprise for Linux product that, if supported, you might consider using.

I think the core of your question though, is based on how Microsoft does licensing with the CAL model. The licensing for EPS is per node that the software is going to be installed on. In this case, you would be installing it on the terminal servers, so you would need two licenses. However, you will need to validate this with your account manager. I am not sure if there are restrictions on EPS that would require you to purchase Server suite licenses given that they are running a server OS. If the thin clients run a supported version of Linux, you could purchase EPS licenses for those as well.

I would suggest working with your account manager who can walk through further licensing details.

• 3. Re: Licensing usage of VSE on Terminal Servers
              maxsteel12
              • 2 License for Win
              • 50 License for Linux
              • 4. Re: Licensing usage of VSE on Terminal Servers
                tomz2

maxsteel12 wrote:

• 2 License for Win
                • 50 License for Linux

This is an incomplete recommendation.Given the nuances involved with thin clients, it is strongly advised to work through an Intel Security Account Manager.