4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 8:26 AM by PhilR

installing ePo agent using group policy

I am using ePO 4.0 and want to install ePO agent 3.6 using group policy, can it be done?? if yes How??
        • 1. RE: installing ePo agent using group policy
          tonyb99
          Pull the framepkg.exe installer file out of your EPO install.
          Create a workstation script that runs against your workstations in AD that checks for an active epo agent and if not working and installed installs the framepkg, you might want to add in the command line switching to force it to return props to the epo server aswell onto the end.
          • 2. RE: installing ePo agent using group policy
            can you give us an example on how to write the script. i want to deploy the agent using he group policy but i need the script to check if the agent dose not exist then install it otherwise exit.
            • 3. RE: installing ePo agent using group policy
              tonyb99
              This is a VB script I got someone to write for a similar situation (but different software package) if service is there and running then it exits, if exe is there but service is not running it uninstalls, if neither service nor exe are there it installs. Something like this can be tweaked up to maintain an MSI install but with the older versions of the agent you would have to play about with uninstalls of use forced install over the top.

Set objComputer = GetObject("WinNT://127.0.0.1,computer")
              objComputer.Filter = Array("Service")
              Set objShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
              strServiceName = "SERVICE NAME"
              PLLoc = "PATH TO RUNNING EXECUTABLE ON LOCAL SYSTEM"
              set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
              If ObjFSO.FileExists(PLLoc) Then
              else
              objShell.Run "msiexec /i" & " NETWORK PATH TO MSI INSTALLER" & " /QN /l* c:\install.log", 1, True
              WScript.Quit
              End If
              For Each aService In objComputer
              If LCase(strServiceName) = LCase(aService.Name) then
              'Wscript.echo aService.Name & "=" & aService.Status
              If aService.Status <> 4 Then
              objShell.Run "msiexec /x" & "{INSTALL CODE FROM LOCAL TO ALLOW UNISTALL OF MSI INSTALLED AGENT}" & " /QN /l* c:\uninstall.log", 1, True
              WScript.Quit
              Else
              WScript.Quit
              end If
              End If
              Next
              objShell.Run "msiexec /x" & "{INSTALL CODE FROM LOCAL TO ALLOW UNISTALL OF MSI INSTALLED AGENT}" & " /QN /l* c:\uninstall.log", 1, True
              • 4. Re: RE: installing ePo agent using group policy
                PhilR

McAfee have just released this handy KB article on how to deploy McAfee Agent 4.x via Group Policy:

https://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice/Article.aspx?id=KB67796

I'd use SuperOrca to do the editing, it's a bit easier to find than the original:

http://www.pantaray.com/msi_super_orca.html

Cheers,

Phil