8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 4:47 PM by catdaddy

File with long name in C Drive - I don't have permission to access the folder

whatsmyname

I have a PC and running Windows 7.

I have a file in my C Drive with the name a606a06136963fe62df2caeac5f81d. I can't open the file (or delete it), I get a "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." error. I haven't clicked it yet, as I'd like to find out a bit more about it.

I tried to research this a bit and according to some it could be a file left over after a failed Windows update - in this case, I noticed the file after I had tried to install Office and it stuck on me. I restarted my machine, uninstalled Office and installed again with success, but that's when I noticed the file in my C Drive. I've run the McAfee Scan and it returns no Viruses, Spyware, etc. I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Any reason to worry about this file? I guess if it really is just as a result of the first failed Office install, then no worries. But I'd let to make sure.

2. Can I just get rid of it? If so, how? Simply click that "Continue" when prompted and then delete?

Thanks.