1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 9:31 AM by mcdave

    Multiple issues with MA 5.2.333 & VSE8.8P7 & Windows 10

    mcdave

      1. Extreme slow installation of VSE8.8 Patch 7 (also Counts for Patch 6) especially in combination with windows 10.

      For new installations it takes between 23 up to 30 minutes to install Patch 7 (For Patch 6 allready took between 15 - 25 minutes), this was timed on computers where nothing else was running atm of the deployment (imagine how much longer it could take elseway)

      (the duration info comes from the "C:\windows\temp\mcafeelogs\vse8.8.0.core_install_<timestamp>.log" logfiles.)

       

      2.Sometimes when the user restarts the computer during the LOOOOONG installation process the AV gets totaly corrupted (AV & computer), without any option to remove the AV (VSE8.8 disappears from the Add-Remove program listing but some of the services & processes are running like mcshield for instance)

      (We already had about a dozen newly deployed Windows 10 clients victims ) in a few cases it could be fixed by running setupVSE.exe (the one with the embedded Patch 7 'VSE880LMLRP7') which is also a LOT faster? in others we had to remove everything manually by disabling all mcafee services & processes deleting all the folders and a few hundred regkeys and start all over again.

       

      3. According the information from SB10151 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=SB10151) there is an (for us unacceptable) installation sequence for MA 5.0.2.333 and VSE 8.8.0.1528

      That claims that VSE 8.8.0.1528 has to be installed prior to MA 5.0.2.333 ???

       

      How can you properly manage that especially for new computers (via ePO)???

       

      We did some tests with brand new deployed windows 10 laptops, deployed MA 5.0.2.333 and guess what VSE 8.8.0.1528 does NOT get installed, while the same article says:

       

      I quote:

      The VSE 8.8.0.1528 installer checks to ensure that MA 5.0.2.188 or MA 5.0.2.333 is installed first. 

      If you  attempt to install VSE 8.8.0.1478 after MA 5.0.2.333, the install will fail. Instead, install VSE 8.8.0.1528 directly.

       

      If we remove MA 5.0.2.333 and install MA 5.0.2.188 then the AV VSE 8.8.0.1528 does eventualy gets installed but it takes ages (almost an hour from the moment the setut starts).

      It seems that the installation of VSE88P7 happens in 2 twice or in 2 steps (which tooks in total about 50 minutes to finish, the first one about 29 min and the second 23min (according to the start & end time inside 2 "vse8.8.0.core_install_<timestamp>.log" files))

      Why SOOOOOO LOOOOOONG when we deploy it via the epo software deployment task using the VSE with imbedded P7 (VSE 8.8.0.1528)?
      While when we run it manually the setupVSE.exe (the one with the embedded Patch 7 'VSE880LMLRP7', which is the exact same one we imported into our repository) the installation process only takes a few minutes including updating the DAT files???)

       

      Again how the F. can we properly deploy (without implementing all kind of additional checks and using different repository branches for the different MA versions) MA 5.0.2.333 into our epo environment as we can't deploy it to our new windows 10 clients (I don't even know if the same counts for Win 7 or 8.x)

       

       

      And once we've deployed VSE 8.8.0.1528 we have to install MA 5.0.2.333 or you can run into many issues according the same SB10151 article (it sounds a bit like the 'chicken or the egg' story?)

       

      regards,

      D

        • 1. Re: Multiple issues with MA 5.2.333 & VSE8.8P7 & Windows 10
          mcdave

          Performed a few additional tests with a new windows 10 client with MA 5.0.2.333 installed (pushed via eposerver).

          VSE 8.8.0.1528 DOES NOT get deployed with this agent (waited about 6 hours & performed several manual agent syncs triggered via the epo server and locally (via cmdagent.exe)).

           

          Results test1:
          - But using the VSE 8.8.0.1528 "setupVSE.exe" (VSE 8.8 P7) copied from our epo repository does get it installed within 3 minutes.

           

          Results test2 (started again from the same new windows 10 client with MA 5.0.2.333 installed):

          - Installed the previous agent MA 5.0.2.188 over the MA 5.0.2.333 and BOOM the VSE 8.8.0.1528 gets deployed (but extremely SLOOOOOOOW as described before)


          regards,

          Dave